eight

Jeongguk swims toward the tall, shimmering gold gates that have kept him protected from whatever lies beyond the sea. This was going to be his first step into becoming an adult. This was his first step into being a human. 

He has to let this go.

He touches the gates that open up wide for him. He takes a look around the city, the high rise of corals, the beautiful shells that adorn the paths. 

The rich biodiversity in this little kingdom, will it be the same on land?

Of course, it's not, and it won't be. 

This beauty is unparalleled to the surface dwellers. It used to be even more beautiful, however.

 The glimmer was brighter before the humans started to contaminate the precious blue. He couldn't understand why people were heartless. 

His sea turtle friends were always tangled up in something, his fish friends decreased. 

The sharks, oh god the sharks, they were friendly, now they constantly attack the merfolk?

But maybe, it was better for Jeongguk to stay away from here, until everything got better. Until the humans know how to take better care of the seas and their depths.

Yoongi and Jimin wait at the rock formation they discussed the day before. Jeongguk swims there quickly before anyone can realize he has sneaked off once again. 

When Jeongguk gets there, Jimin is as bouncy as ever. There was a solemn look on Yoongi's face. 

Jeongguk wanted to ask him a question but Yoongi quickly changes his expression when Jeongguk gets to where they are.

"Are you ready?", Yoongi asks.

Jeongguk puffs his chest out, nodding his head with determination. 

"I'm ready. I was born ready!"

Jimin imitates Jeongguk. 

"I'm ready too! I'm ready to see and feel the surface!"

Yoongi nods his head once. 

"Then let's go." 

He swims ahead of everyone, leading them into the direction of Namjoon the sea witch.

They swim through abyss filled with seaweed that stretches on for miles, and miles down into the unknown. They swim through a school of sardines who were swimming aimlessly in the dimly lit ocean. 

Jeongguk has ever been this far out into the ocean. 

He's never been past what he knows.

He's into the unknown.