f i v e

OCTOBER

"I don't think Keith appreciates that." I look up and see Harry coming straight for me which causes me stop tapping my pen on my desk. He dumps his stuff on the floor next to my feet before taking seat at the desk next to mine. I look to my right and he was right, Keith Anderson was not very happy with my pen tapping based on the harsh glare he was sending my way. I turn back around to Harry, ignoring Keith.

"How ever will Ms. Waters flirt with you now that you're actually on time for once?" I ask, resting my cheek on the palm of my hand. He laughs at my question before pulling out his phone to answer a text.

"I assume she'll find some way to go on. Maybe Kyle will be late."

I shrug, closing my eyes to hopefully catch up on some sleep before class started. I wasn't granted that luxury though, because Harry started talking again.

"How is my lovely friend this fine morning?" He asks me and I open my eyes, giving him a look of annoyance.

"I was happier when you did not refer to me as your friend."

"Come on, I gave you a ride home. We're friends, you just need to admit it, Peterson."

"I'm good, thanks." The bell rings as I finish speaking and I silently thank it for once. Ms. Waters starts talking and I unconsciously start tapping my pen again. I try to listen to Ms. Waters lecture but my phone keeps vibrating. I discreetly pull it out to see who it is.

unknown number: Keith just told me if you don't stop tapping your pen he was gonna drop kick you and he wasn't afraid to hit you just because you're a girl. I suggest you stop.

I furrow my eyebrows at the text. I look around the classroom to see who texted me. I see Harry with his phone out, looking at me for my response. I look back under my desk to reply.

is it bad I don't even have your number saved lmaooo

It doesn't take even a minute before Harry replies to me.

harry: ouch, that hurts my dear dear friend. :(

I try laugh quietly but it comes out louder than intended. I lock my phone and look up, seeing Ms. Waters eyes on me, as well as the rest of the class.

"Is something I said about your essay that is worth 20% of your grade funny, Ms. Peterson?" She crosses her arms, waiting for my answer.

"Um, no. Sorry, Ms. Waters." I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear as I feel my cheeks heating up. I try to not make eye contact with her before she starts talking about the lecture again. I feel my phone vibrate so I check it one more time.

harry: and that's karma for not having my number saved >:)

I roll my eyes and lock my phone. I shove it back into my pocket aggressively so he would get the memo to stop texting me. Luckily, he leaves me alone for the rest of the class period.