XXIX. Unlike the old me

Disclaimer: I don't own Miraculous Ladybug, either Love o2o and the novel.

"Ahhh I was so nervous..." Marinette left the cafe a few minutes after finishing talking with the representative from ZAG Studios. Back on the campus, Marinette happily walked to her dorm, eager to receive her rewards as agreed. Wouldn't this make a nice graduation gift for her new friends? Oh, and boyfriend of course.

Boyfriend. Thinking of that word automatically made a certain blonde pop into her head and her cheeks turned pink. No one was going to believe her that it was because of the sun. The concept of "dating" or "being a girlfriend" was not a topic that she used to think a lot nowadays. Until four years ago, when Marinette was still in high school, talks about love or someone were common in her circle of friends. Novels, comics, books, and movies; there wasn't a day where she didn't associate the romance genre with any of these activities because, to be honest, she was a romance lover. At that time, Marinette didn't personally know the girls in her current group and usually hung out with other people in her class or club, and like most teenagers, the blue-haired girl liked both talking and listening about those topics. Who had a crush on one of her colleagues, who were secretly dating, celebrity gossip, among other topics have always been popular.

It wasn't until her junior year of high school that rumors about her and one of her art club friends began to circulate, or so she thought. As she remembers it, in that year the rumor that the two were dating began to spread in the middle of the year and everyone assumed they were a couple. Marinette could easily notice the signs or acts between her classmates but failed to notice the actions of others with her. Long story short, Marinette had a little (or maybe not so little) crush on a senior guy who was at the robotics club. She didn't tell anyone about her feelings and it must have been like that for the rest of high school, she didn't have enough self-esteem to confess, less when he was publicly in a relationship with a girl of the same grade. Even if she had enough confidence in herself, she wouldn't ruin another relationship because of her unrequited feelings.

The rumors with the other boy had already been around for a couple of months when she first found out and by then, the entire school seemed to believe the rumor more than her word. When she confronted her friend, she learned that he had neither denied nor accepted the rumor, he just let the rumor to keep growing.

"Why didn't you tell me anything and I just found out that everyone thinks we're dating?!" Marinette had yelled at him a bit at the sudden information. She knew that she wasn't making the right decision, that she shouldn't speak about this subject in the central square of the school at dismissal time where all the students were present admiring the scene, but her anger didn't allow her to wait to be in another place so she began to spite out loud as soon as she saw the other boy.

He, also annoyed for some reason, raised his voice the same way. "Why are you yelling at me?! Aren't we dating?"

That took her by surprise and she said nothing for several seconds. The hell? What was he talking about?