Chapter 59 - Better Than Imagined

I instantly open my eyes and release Josh from my grasp. I am surprised to notice that I am breathing normally again. He kneels down on the floor next to the tub, resting his head on the white porcelain.

"Are you okay?" he asks as he studies me.

"Yeah, I'm fine now," I answer.

"You scared me there for a second. You were breathing so heavily, and not responding to me. I was about to pull you out but then you seemed to just snap out of it. Like you finally relaxed," he states as he stares into my eyes.

My mind is racing with what has just happened, yet I feel so calm. I am not imagining it either. Audrey had come to me. She wanted to help me. I know that she did!

"What's wrong, Mila? You seem awfully quiet. Do you want to get out?" Josh asks, his voice laced with concern.

"No. I'm fine," I reply truthfully as I stare at the wall in front of me.

Surprisingly, I actually am fine. The water isn't affecting me the way that it was a few minutes ago. I know that I wasn't imagining Audrey. She had really come to help me. There was no other explanation for how I could be sitting in a tub of water when a few moments prior I wasn't able to. Yes, Josh was near, but I still freaked out in his presence and didn't seem to be able to shake that uneasy feeling, not until she appeared and assisted me out.

I wonder why Josh wasn't enough to help me this time. Maybe he was? Perhaps if he hadn't been here, I wouldn't have been able to get as far as I did?

He reaches into the tub and interlocks his fingers with mine. He takes his other hand and places it on my cheek. He turned my head gently so that I am facing him. I stare into his big brown eyes. He lets his palm linger there, on the side of my face, as he untangles his other hand from my grasp and places it on my other cheek.

Slowly his head inches nearer to mine. He is only an inch or so from me. I can feel each breath that he takes. He waits a moment, staring into my eyes, a slight smile on his face, and then leans in and kisses me.

I close my eyes as his lips rest on mine. I can feel my heart begin to race again. I can't believe that he is finally kissing me. I had been waiting so long for this exact moment.

Before I know it, the kiss is over. He pulls away, with his hands still on my cheeks. I open my eyes slowly and find him studying my face, perhaps trying to determine if he had made the right move. I smile up at him, to let him know that I am happy. So very happy. He takes it as a sign of encouragement and leans in and kisses me again.

This time the kiss is different. It is longer. I can sense his confidence has grown. Josh's plump lips rest tenderly on mine before they slowly begin to part. His tongue finds its way into my mouth and begins to dance around with mine. The whole movement is so effortless and fluid. I am in pure heaven.

A few moments later, he releases my cheeks from his grasp and pulls his head away and lets it rest on the edge of the tub again. He stares into my eyes and I can see that he feels the same way as I do. Complete and utter happiness.

After daydreaming about this day for weeks, I cannot believe that it has finally happened. Josh Davenport kissed me!

"What are you thinking?" he asks.

As much as I want to say anything but the truth, I decide honesty is the best approach.

"This was my first time you know?" I reply truthfully. I'm not embarrassed by this. It's simply just a fact.

"Yeah, I know. You've never taken a bubble bath before," he replies.

"Well, yes. But it's also the first time I've ever kissed a boy. Really kissed a boy, you know? One, who I care about," I explain. As soon as the words leave my mouth, I wonder if I shared too much?