Chapter 73 - Enjoying the Moment

Josh let's go of my left wrist and then places both of his hands on my cheeks.

"I love you more than anything else in this world," he says. And I believe him. I just wish I was as certain about what I feel as he is.

He stares into my eyes longingly before he leans in and kisses me. It's a different kind of kiss. I can feel the love behind it. It is slow and passionate and unlike any kiss I'd ever experienced thus far. When he finally pulls away, I can see the happiness all across his face. His eyes twinkle with the green glow from the Pennial trees leaves. It is a magnificent sight.

I reach over to grab my backpack and pull out the snacks I had packed and notice his eyes narrow in on my woven bracelet again. In that instant I can see a bit of the happiness drain from his face as he stares at my hand again. It is like he is in a trance. I don't know what to do. I know what he is thinking and it isn't true. I do love him.

Don't I? Why am I so uncertain of what I am feeling? I thought love was supposed to be easy, I think to myself.

"What's wrong?" I ask, terrified of how he might answer.

"Oh, nothing," he says, as he snaps his head up. His face is once again happy but his eyes don't twinkle the way that they did a minute ago. I don't know what the big deal is in the stupid bracelet. I really wish that I could just remove the thing from my wrist and not have to worry about upsetting Josh because it's not changing color. I begin to wonder if I could bleach it when Josh interrupts my scheming.

"You're worried we aren't going to find all of the materials, right?" he asks.

"Yes," I answer simply, as I pull my mind away from thoughts of bleach and dye.

"Well, you know why we're eating now, don't you?"

"I have no idea why," I say truthfully.

"Well, let me tell you. I did my research just like you did, on the little creatures we are supposed to gather and all of the other random things we are to collect before our trip and I knew it was going to be next to impossible to get everything in our time span of less than two weeks. So I thought why do anything at all, you know? Why should we even bother wasting such a beautiful day searching, when we can spend it together enjoying each other's company and this beautiful setting?"

I stare at him in total disbelief, unable to comprehend what he is actually saying. He wraps his arms around me and pulls me deep into his chest. I can smell the familiar scent of coconut mixed with teakwood. It's the most heavenly scent. I could easily get lost in his embrace forever, but I can't. Not right now. Not after he just said we're basically on a fool's mission and there's no point in even trying!

I turn and study his face. He seems back to normal now. His eyes appear to dance with happiness as he holds me, which makes me smile, until I remember what it was he just told me. With the realization, I grow slightly angry and begin to pull away from his warm embrace. He isn't having it though. And tightens his grip around me.

"So you don't want to look at all?" I demand, as I fight to free myself from his tan muscular arms. He begins to chuckle, as though he finds my struggle amusing.

"Of course I don't want to look," he laughs.

"Excuse me?" I snap.

"Why would I want to look, Mila," he says with a smile. "When I know that the things we want will come right to us?"

"Huh? You're making no sense at all," I retort.

"After researching and asking Jeremiah a bunch of questions, I found out some pretty useful information. It's really amazing how everything is out there at our fingertips, you just have to ask, you know? So I found out that the large Crattle bird that lives in the Pennial tree eats the Willyfrillow fish. The birds nest in this tree right here," he says, as he points to the tree behind him. "The bones can't stay in their body, they regurgitate them. So we just have to find the pellets and then we've found the fish bones."