Chapter 9

The girl opened a sliding door and we all walked through into a big room. People were standing around a fire or sitting down on the floor. I assume they live here.

"Come on. Jorge wants to meet you." The girl said walking across the big room. I wonder who Jorge is. Probably the leader of this place. The girl walked up the stairs and we followed.

"Who's Jorge?" I ask.

"You'll see." The girl responded. Why couldn't she just tell us? To my surprise she continues.

"No ones come out of the scorch in a long time. You've just got him curious. And me too." She said. I heard a low chuckle behind me. I turned my head around and saw men walking close behind us. Newt pulled me closer to him.

"Anyone else starting to get a bad feeling about this place?" Newt asked.

"Let's just hear him out. See what he has to say." Thomas said. We walked up another set of stairs. A big room smaller than the first one was in front of me. A man was sitting down on the other side in front of a radio.

"Jorge they're here." The girl said. The man shushed her. While he continued to mess with the radio the girl motioned for me to sit down. Newt helped me over to the couch and I sat down. The girl had a bandage and a cloth wrap. She patched my ankle up.

"Thank you." I said. The girl just nodded her head. The man who I'm assuming is Jorge angrily turned off the radio and stood up to face us.

"Do you ever get the feeling the whole worlds against you? Three questions. Where did you come from? Where are you going? How can I profit?" Jorge asked. We all just looked at each other.

"Don't all answer are once." Jorge sarcastically said.

"We're headed for the mountains. Looking for the Right Arm." Thomas said. The men who followed us up here laughed.

"You're looking for ghost you mean. Question number 2. Where did you come from?" Jorge asked.

"That's our business." Minho said. Jorge shrugged and the men grabbed us. I elbowed and kicked but the guy holding me wouldn't budge. The girl grabbed a device and scanned Thomas' neck. She looked at it in surprise.

"You were right." She said handing it to Jorge.

"Right about what?" Thomas asked.

"Sorry hermano. Looks like you're tagged. You came from WICKED. Which means you're very valuable." Jorge said.

***

Pain was shooting through my ankle as I hung from my feet. I could feel the blood rushing through my head. They tied us upside down. A big hole stood underneath us. If somebody dropped they would be dead.

"Good plan Thomas. Just hear what the man has to say. Really working out for us." Minho sneered.

"Oh shut up Minho." Thomas said.

"Maybe I can reach the rope." Thomas suggested. He groaned as he tried to grab it but he couldn't hold on.

"Enjoying the view?" Jorge jokingly asked.

"What the hell do you want?" I sneered.

"That is the question. My men want to sell you back to WICKED. Life has taught them to think small. I'm not like that. Something tells me that you're not either Miss Girl on Fire." Jorge said. He knows who I am.

"Is the blood rushing through my head or is this shank not making any sense?" Minho asked.

"Tell me what you know about the Right Arm." Jorge demanded.

"I thought you said they were ghosts." Newt said.

"I happen to believe in ghosts. Especially when I hear them chattering on the airwaves." Jorge said. He walked over to some sort of lever.

"You tell me what you know and maybe we can make a deal." Jorge said.

"We don't know much." Thomas said. Jorge pushed the lever and we all fell down a few feet. I yelped in pain. A couple others were yelling.

"Okay! They're hiding in the mountains. They attacked WICKED. They got out a bunch of kids. Thats it. That's all we know." Thomas said. Jorge was about to say something but someone spoke first.

"Hey Jorge. What's going on?" A man asked. This big dude walked in.

"Me and my new friends were just getting aquatinted. We're done now." Jorge said.

"Hey wait. You're not going to help us?" Thomas asked.

"Don't worry hermano. We'll get you back to where you belong." Jorge said walking out of the room. We can't go back to WICKED. We need to find a way out of here.

***

I watched as Thomas pushed Minho forward. Minho pushed Teresa forward. Teresa almost grabbed the railing but it was just out of reach. Minho grunted in frustration as they tried again. They've been trying this for the past 10 mins. Finally after a few more tries Teresa finally grabbed the railing. She pulled the lever and we all dropped a few more feet. I clenched my teeth at the pain shooting through my ankle. Teresa landed on the floor and untied her feet. One by one everyone got to the floor. Me and a couple others waited for our turn. Suddenly a helicopter was whirring just outside the window.

"Good evening. This is the World Catastrophe Killzone Department. We have your compound completely surrounded. You find yourselves through no fault of your own in possession of WICKED property, return them to us unharmed and we'll consider this a simple misunderstanding. Or you can find resist and every last one of you will die. It won't be long before the Flare wipes out the rest of us. The hope of a cure lies in your hands. The choice is yours." Janson's voice echoed around the walls. Oh no. He's here.