Trial And Error (Metallica)

Notes: Anonymous prompt I received on Tumblr ages ago. I'm sorry that this took a century to write and if it's not what you were hoping for. It's just so weird writing Kirk as anything other than sweet or submissive 😆

Kirk and James switch roles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kirk felt awkward to say the least.

There are moments when he's gone off on someone who pissed him off and has yelled at people before (though those were far and few), but he's never actually been assertive for lack of a better word. He wasn't bossy and he didn't argue to get his way, unlike Lars or James who seemed very adamant on making everything a debate. Kirk didn't care much for being in control and telling others what to do. He preferred a more go with the flow approach when it came to certain matters. But now the tables are turned and Kirk is allowed to explore that side of himself with help from James, of course.

James was the one who suggested it in the first place. They had been dating since they started working on their newest album, And Justice For All, and James decided it was time they experimented a little in the bedroom. Kirk thought he meant like blindfolds or something vanilla like that, but James hit him with a curveball. He offered to switch roles with Kirk to see how he liked it. Kirk was the more subdued one, following orders and doing what he was told, while James was more intimidating and liked being in control.

It was weird when they finally got a moment alone together, because there was a strange tension in the air. Kirk wasn't uncomfortable, but he certainly felt out of his element by pretending to be something he clearly wasn't. James said they could take it slow and ease into it so Kirk can get a feel for his more dominant side. Making out and touching each other always seemed to get them in the mood and it was perfect for Kirk to practice taking control of the kissing. After awhile, Kirk broke away from the kiss and stared into James' eyes, looking absolutely nervous.

"So, how do I do this?" Kirk asked, unsure of where to go from here.

"You just tell me what you want me to do and I'll obey," James told him, caressing Kirk's waist.

"What if I mess up?" Kirk worried.

"It won't be the end of the world," James reassured, smiling up at Kirk.

"Okay..." Kirk took a step back from where James was sitting on the bed and cleared his throat just in case his voice decided to crack when he finally spoke. "Can you please take off your clothes?"

"Don't ask me. Tell me," James reminded, imparting a little bit of wisdom to help Kirk out. "Try again, and don't say please."

Kirk nodded and took a deep breath, letting it out slowly as he gathered his wits.

"Take your clothes off," Kirk ordered, but the tremor in his voice was a telltale sign that he wasn't fully confident in his ability to order James around.

"Don't be afraid to raise your voice either," James added.

"Now," Kirk said firmly, prompting James to finally stand up from the bed.

Kirk couldn't help but shrink under James' stare as the blonde reached his full height. He was smirking down at Kirk, looking like he was about to say screw it and throw Kirk down against the bed and have his way with him. Which Kirk wouldn't mind right about, but James didn't do that.

"Yes sir," replied James, pulling his shirt over his head and taking off his pants.

When James got down to just his underwear, and Kirk was still fully clothed, they found themselves in a weird stalemate. James was waiting for Kirk to give him his next instruction while Kirk was too gobsmacked to get his head in the game. James didn't say anything or give Kirk a suggestion this time because he knew Kirk had to do this himself now that they got this far. A few more seconds tick on by and when James is about to pull the plug on the whole thing, Kirk raises his head up at the blonde. He gave James this hooded, almost piercing gaze; akin to a death stare in some ways. It was a look James has only seen Kirk do during photoshoots when he was just messing around, but this was different. It sent a small shiver down James' spine. The feeling only intensified when Kirk finally spoke up.