Chapter 1 - Ghost of the Past

"Earth to Franki!" I was snapped out of my thoughts as Sky called my attention, waving his hand in front of my face.

"Huh?" I lifted my eyes to look at him. I'm sitting on the bed, back against the headboard, knees up to my chest. Apparently, he had been calling my attention for the nth time but I was so deep into my thoughts that I didn't notice it.

He gave a faint smile and a worried look. "I said, are you okay? You've been quiet ever since we boarded the plane."

"Oh. I uhI'm fine. I'm just tired and sleepy, I guess." I tried my best to smile back at him.

He was sitting at the edge of the bed but he leaned in closer as he cupped my face with his right hand and stroked my cheek with his thumb. "Well, that's fair. It was a very early flight. Anyway, we've got time. Do you want to have brunch or–"

He was interrupted when his phone started ringing. He immediately fished out his phone from his pocket then looked at the screen. "Babe, I'm sorry I have to take this." He squeezed my right knee and stood up from the bed to answer the call.

"Hello? Yes, we've already checked-in... Oh I have it with me, hold on." I watched as Sky fumbled for his things at the table. I stood up from the bed and walked towards the refrigerator to grab two bottled waters. I walked towards Sky and handed him one. "Take your time," I whispered and walked away.

I went to the balcony of my room to get some fresh air and I was greeted by the stunning and relaxing view of the clear skies and blue waters. We're here in one of the resorts at El Nido, Palawan to attend the wedding of Sky's cousin, Jerome.

I was so excited for this trip as I have always been fond of attending weddings. I mean, who isn't? I love witnessing two people who love each other dearly, vow to commit the rest of their lives to one another in front of their family and friends. What makes it more perfect is that they chose this paradise as the destination of their wedding.

The only thing I'm dreading at this point is meeting and seeing Sky's relatives especially his Tita (Aunt) Amanda who I'm pretty sure will take this opportunity to take a jab at our relationship.

Sky and I have known each other since we were kids. He knew me very well and I guess you could say that we were each other's first love... Or more like puppy love. He tried courting me when we were in high school but I told him I wanted to focus on my studies first.

While that was true, the real reason why I didn't want to get into a relationship with him back then was because I knew deep down that I wasn't really in love with him. You know, the type of love where you'd get weak in the knees or when you'd constantly find yourself smiling when you think of them. I was just used to the fact that he was always there for me. I didn't have the heart to tell him the truth but I guess it worked out for the best. He was a year ahead of me and after he graduated from high school, he went to the U.S. to pursue his studies while I stayed here in the Philippines. We kept in touch at first but then we kind of drifted apart as we got busier and well, life happened.

I drank water and closed my eyes as I recalled the events that happened earlier this morning at the airport. Sky and I were seated at the metal chairs at the Departure Area waiting to board the plane when I saw a familiar figure walk past us. It was 4:30 in the morning and I was still sleepy but I was sure of what I saw— a tall woman with long hair. She was wearing a white cap, black shirt and pants and had a denim jacket tied to her waist. She turned her head sideways for a moment and I caught a glimpse of her beautiful smile and her chinky eyes. She was on her phone talking to someone as she continued walking away from us, away from me. I forgot how to breathe and felt like my heart was beating so fast and so slow at the same time.

Diana. I never thought I'd see her again. I wanted to run after her but I was frozen in my seat, weak in the knees. I tried following her with my eyes for as long as I could until she disappeared from my sight.

"Babe let's go." Sky stood up and got our bags and held out his hand for me to take as we boarded the plane. As soon as we got settled in our seats, I immediately closed my eyes and tried to sleep as I had originally planned. But seeing Diana for the first time in years made that impossible. She proved to be stronger than any other coffee or energy drink that kept me awake the entire time.

I shook my head as I tried to stop myself from thinking of her. I looked back inside the room and saw Sky still on the phone.

Come on, Franki. Stop thinking about her. Stop thinking about the past. You're with Sky now.

I took a deep breath and went back inside the room as Sky put his phone down. "That was Jerome. He was asking if we got here safely and asked me about his gift that he asked me to keep."

"How is he? Still no wedding jitters?" I chuckled.

"Nah. He's good. He's so excited about his wedding. Probably more than his bride." We both laughed. "So, the wedding's not until this afternoon but I do have to be ready after lunch. We still have a few hours to spare. You want to get some food or do you want to rest?"

I cocked my head to one side, squinted my eyes and pouted my lips as I thought of what I wanted to do more. "Hmm.. I think I want to get some sleep first."

"Okay sure, better get some rest." He walked towards me and put his hands on my shoulders. "Look, I'm sorry I had an emergency meeting yesterday. We should've been here yesterday pa."

"Don't worry about it, okay? You better get some sleep too." I smiled sweetly at him.

"I'll go to my room now. Call me if you need anything okay?" He smiled back and kissed me on the forehead.

As soon as Sky left, I threw myself in the bed lying on my stomach then closed my eyes. Then images of Diana started appearing in my head over and over again. I tried to shake it off but I couldn't then I opened my eyes and realized I might be in trouble.

Good luck in trying to sleep, Franki.

>>>> to be continued <<<<