If Only I Were Normal

Narrator's point of view:

     Shouko and Shouya walked slowly as the night grew darker. Everything around them was deathly silent and the night itself seemed to be holding its breath. Tension over what had just happened started to grow between Shouko and Shouya. Shouya kept nervously looking down at Shouko and she glanced up now and again wanting to ask a million questions, but never bringing herself to find the right thing to say. "Today was fun." Shouya said and signed. His voice was shaky and nervous and his smile was obviously fake. Shouko stared at his face for a second, before giving him a fake smile as well and looking down. 

Shouko's point of view:

     I shouldn't have came today. I just made everything worse. Seeing Miki get so upset was hard to watch, and I don't think I've ever seen Shouya so mad in my entire life. I couldn't only hear a little bit of what they were saying every now and then, but I know it has something to do with me. Why do I always have to cause him so much trouble?! Why can't things just be okay with us? Why couldn't I have just been born normal and taken all this pressure off everyone. Hu, what would life really be like if I were able to hear? 

Narrator's point of view:

     They walked down streets and past speeding cars. Shouko drifted slightly behind Shouya her head in the clouds. Shouya glanced back and say her eyes off somewhere else. He slowed down a little in a bid to make sure she didn't loose him or he get too ahead of her. They started to get closer to a street lap that seemed to be the only light within a few miles. 

Shouko's point of view:

     Shouya would probably have all of his friends. Yuzuru would be head of her class. Mom would be able to afford a better job. I would have been able to be friends with Miki and Naoko. I wonder if I would ever be good at choir if I could hear.

Shouya's point of view:

     Shouko seems to be really out of it. I hope she's okay. Maybe she needs to sit down for a second. Maybe I should explain what Miki and I were fighting over. No no! That would just upset her. I can't. She would blame herself. She doesn't need that right now. She shouldn't have to carry the weight of my temper on her shoulders. 

Narrator's point of view:

     Shouya lead them to a little bench under the one street lap. He sat Shouko down and took a quick look at her face. Her cute pink hair stilled seemed to shine in the artificial light of the lap and her bright eyes gleamed with the few stars above, but her face was plane still seemed to be in a far off dream. 'I'm going to go get us some drinks okay?' Shouya signed as he walked away. Shouko gave a small little smile as he ran away to a nearby vending machine. Shouko stared down at the ground. 

Shouko's point of view:

     I wonder if me and Shouya would have gotten together if I was born hearing. I really shouldn't be thinking stuff like this honestly, but I don't see much point in stopping now to be honest. I can't stop thinking about him, and I've known that for over a year. I just wish I did have to be such a burden on him and on his life. His life was perfect til I came along. I know Shouya's heart, and he didn't deserve to be alone for all that time. If I hadn't meet him at the time that I did, or if I were normal, then he would be happy. We all would. It's all because of my defect that everyone has these painful memories. I wish. I-I wish I could hear. I wish I could hear everyone's voice. I wish I could hear and be normal like everyone else in my life! I wish I could hear Shouya. I wish I could hear Shouya's voice!

Shouya's point of view:

     I hope just sitting down for a minute will help calm things over. I really should at least talk to her about it. Oh man I shouldn't have left her! That was so stupid of me. I have to hurry up and get these!

Narrator's point of view:

     Shouya rushed with getting the drinks and raced back to Shouko. He saw her sitting there peacefully looking at the ground. He let out a sigh of relief and walked over to her. He sat down next to her and handed her a drink. "Here you go Shouko." He signed and said holding it out to her. Shouko looked up with tears in her eyes. "Shouko!" Shouya exclaimed. Shouko jumped back in surprise and started wiping her eyes clean of her tears. The more she wiped them away the more she seemed to cry. 

Shouko's point of view:

     I ruined his life yet he's still so nice to me! Why? I wish he would say something back! I wish he would get mad at me! Why?! Why is he so sweet to me? Why does he even care about me? The little deaf girl who tore him away from all of his friends and continue to make life harder for everyone! Why?!!

Narrator's point of view:

     Shouko sat there unable to hold back her tears. Shouya carefully took her hands and looked her in her red and puffy eyes. "Shouko." He said softly. She just looked down and continued to softly cry. Shouya looked down at her with his heart spiking with pain to see her cry. It had been a while since he had seen her cry. Shouya slowly hugged Shouko close.

Shouya's point of view:

     I'm sorry Shouko. Even now I make things hard for you to get through. I'm sorry for everything that I've done and everything I continue to do. But, Shouko. I don't want to see you cry anymore. I don't want to see you look at the past and remember just everything that happened in sixth grade and last year. I want you to look back and smile. I want you to laugh Shouko. I love your smile. Your real smile. And this might be a little selfish to add, but in those memories that you look back on and smile, could I been in them?

Narrator's point of view:

     Shouya hugged Shouko tighter and tighter. Shouko rested her face on his shoulder and let herself cry a little more. Shouya put his hand on her head and stoked her hair trying to help her calm down. 

Shouko's point of view:

     I'm sorry Shouya. Even though I've done so many things to hurt you. I-I can't help but love you. 

Narrator's point of view:

     Shouko sat back up and looked at Shouya. 'What's wrong?' He signed. Shouko looked down and signed, 'I just couldn't help but think about how much better things would be if I.' She stopped herself. Shouya's widened and his heart sank. He put his hand on her head and brought there heads together. They both blushed. 'I like you just the way you are.' Shouya signed with a little dorky smile. A few happy tears fell from Shouko's eyes as they got back up to continue their journey home.