Chapter 10

"You ready to do this?" Dad asks me as he stands beside me.

"I am," I say. "The question is, are you?"

"I'm not ready to give away my girl, but I know that Noah is a good man and that he's going to make you happy," Dad says, tearful.

"Daddy," I say, laughing lightly. "Don't cry, or else you're going to make me cry."

"I'll try not too, Mills," he says before linking our arms. Before the ceremony began, I got a chance to see the church. It was beautifully decorated in winter shades. Allie had outdone herself for this event. She is fighting for her life against her tumour, and the doctor cleared her so she can attend the wedding, just like she promised.

The doors open and the organ begins to play. I walk down the aisle with my father by my side. I see Noah staring at me with so much love. My hair is down and my makeup was beautiful, even though Noah says I don't need it. Noah smiles as I got closer. When I get to the altar, he shakes my Dad's hand and gently takes my hand and helps me up to the podium. I look at Noah in the eyes as he holds our hands.

"Welcome, everyone. Noah and Millie have chosen you, those special and important to them, to witness and celebrate the beginning of their life together. Today, as they join in marriage, they also create a new bond and a new sense of family - one that will undoubtedly include all who are present here today," the Priest starts. "We gather here to unite these two people in marriage. Their decision to marry has not been entered into lightly, and today, they publicly declare their private devotion to each other. The essence of this commitment is the acceptance of each other in entirety, as lover, companion, and friend. A good and balanced relationship is one in which neither person is overpowered nor absorbed by the other. Marriage, ideally, is a sharing of responsibilities, hopes, and dreams. It takes a special effort to grow together, survive hard times, and be loving and unselfish."

"Do you both pledge to share your lives openly with one another, and to speak the truth in love? Do you promise to honour and tenderly care for one another, cherish and encourage each other, stand together, through sorrows and joys, hardships and triumphs for all the days of your lives?" the Priest asks, looking at us both.

"We do," Noah and I say.

"Noah and Millie, remember to treat yourselves and each other with respect and remind yourselves often of what brought you together. Take responsibility for making the other feel safe, and give the highest priority to the tenderness, gentleness and kindness that your connection deserves. When frustration, difficulty and fear assail your relationship, as they threaten all relationships at some time or another, remember to focus on what is right between you, and not just the part that seems wrong. In this way, you can survive the times when clouds drift across the face of the sun in your lives, remembering that, just because you may lose sight of it for a moment, that does not mean the sun has gone away, forever. If each of you takes responsibility for the quality of your life together, and compassion for the needs of the other, your life together will be marked by abundance and delight."

Noah and I look at each other and nod, smiling.

"May these rings be blessed as a symbol of your union. As often as either of you look upon these rings, may you not only be reminded of this moment but also of the vows you have made, and the strength of your commitment to each other. Noah, please repeat after me.."

"I Noah, promise to love and support you, Millie Greyson, and live each day with kindness, understanding, truth, humour, and passion. With this ring, I thee wed." The Priest says.

"I Noah, promise to love and support you, Millie Greyson, and live each day with kindness, understanding, truth, humour, and passion. With this ring, I thee wed," Noah repeats, taking my hand, and places the ring on my finger.