Chapter 16

A week has passed since my meeting fiasco. I FaceTime my family to tell them everything that has happened since the wedding. Short story, things didn't end well. Firstly, my father told Danielle and me a secret that he has hidden from us for a while. Secondly, Danielle and I got into a fight. I got so angry that I hung up.

"Dad, you okay?" I ask when my father isn't his usual chatty self.

"Millie," he says, looking at me, then at Danielle. "I have something to tell you."

"What's up?" I ask as I cuddle Winnie as comfort. I am suddenly feeling nervous, and my heart rate is rising, and Winnie notices. My family knows about my anxiety, and they support me. My Dad clears his throat and looks at me square in the eye.

"You know Grandpa and Grandma?" he asks me. I nod my head, thinking the worst scenario.

"They aren't your real grandparents. They are my Uncle and Aunt," Dad says.

"H-How is that possible?" I ask, confused.

"When I was seven and lived in England, I awoke one morning to see that my parents have disappeared. They left a brief note, but that was it. There were no phone calls, no mail, nothing. The letter said that they couldn't take care of your Uncle Harry and me," Dad explains. My jaw drops. "I was put into a foster home along with my brother. We were there for ten years. I watched as the kids left with their new families. Every day, I lost hope that I was going to be adopted."

"Dad," I say, my heartbreaking for him. "I'm so sorry."

"That's not all," he says, looking over at my mother. "When I turned seventeen, my Uncle Charlie and Aunt Millie came, and they adopted us. They apologised for not finding us for so long. My brother, who was fourteen at the time, forgave them right away. I, on the other hand, took longer. I was hurt and angry at them for abandoning us."

"I would be too," mutters Danielle under her breath. "What kind of family do we have?"

"A family who supports each other and loves each other," I reply, immediately.

"It doesn't sound like it, Millie!" argues Danielle.

"Girls!" my mother shouts. "Can your father finish his story?" I nod my head and apologize to Dad.

"Anyways, I applied to Queen's for University, met your mother, got married and had my two beautiful daughters," Dad says, concluding his story. "I named you, Millie, after my Aunt, who in some ways, was my real mother. She was there for me when I needed her, and she loved me as her son."

"Do you still talk to Grandma?" I ask. "Er, Aunt Millie?"

"I do, and keep calling her Grandma since that is what you've been calling her your whole life."

"What about me?" asks Danielle. "Who was I named after?"

"I named you Danielle after my best friend who passed away in a car accident," my mother explains.

Danielle stands up abruptly and glares at me. "Of course, Millie gets whatever she wants."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I ask angrily.

"It means, Millie," Danielle says, picking the iPad and showing her angered face. "That you get whatever you want. It means that you are a spoiled woman."

"Whoah, Whoah," I say, surprised. "Danielle, what are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about you, Millie!" yells Danielle. "You're a famous actress who has fans that love you. You are happily married to a hot guy that my friends won't shut up about. You only come here to visit Allie, and you got her a role in a movie!"

"What do you want me to do, Dani?" I ask, looking at my sister. I keep petting Winnie to try and stay calm. "You never help me out!" Danielle yells. "You never asked me if I wanted to be in a movie with you! You never talk to me anymore!"

"That's not true!" I shot back. "I talked to you the last time I was in Canada. I'm sorry that I haven't spoken to you in a while. I've been busy with the premiere that's coming up and the movie."

"This is what I'm talking about!" Danielle says, pointing her finger at me. "You only talk about how great your life is, how famous you are, how busy you are with your upcoming projects!"

"Well, I'm sorry for trying to make you included in my life!" I yell. "I have a life now, Danielle. I live in Los Angeles, and yes, I do talk about my work. But that's because I love what I'm doing. I chose to become famous, and you didn't. When Mom asked if you wanted to take acting classes with me, you said no every time. So you don't get to pin this on me."

Danielle sighs angrily. She gives me one last glance before walking away. I sigh deeply and end the call. I hear footsteps outside the bedroom. I look up to see Noah leaning against the doorframe. "I heard," he said before I got to speak. "And I don't blame you. You want to make your family feel included during your career."

"Were you eavesdropping on my conversation?" I tease him. He lets out a low chuckle. "No. Well-yeah a bit." I laugh out loud.

"However, I do need to speak with you."

"What's wrong?"

"I've been hiding something from you for a bit. No, it's nothing major," Noah adds once he sees my face.

"What is it?" I ask, bracing myself for the worst.

"There are things about my family you don't know about."