Chapter 18: You Worry Me

Monday morning - afternoon
Song: Promise

It was early morning; the sun had just begun to envelop the world of Cvuldir in its warm embrace; nocturnal animals dove into their well-structured nests and tucked their little snouts and beaks deep into their furry, or otherwise feathery, bodies; the young brood struggled to flicker their eyes open, while their parent animals were out on the hunt, stalking, prowling, alert and focused on their target. Similar to those animals, Jimin was focused on his target, Taehyung, and was overly alert that they were about to be late for school.

"Taehyung, wake up!" Jimin shouted, vigorously shaking Taehyung's shoulders in an attempt to wake him up.

Taehyung yowled, his facial expression axiomatically pained. "Get up, we're about to be late for school. You slept extraordinarily early yesterday," Jimin remarked, pulling the blankets off Taehyung only to notice that his ankle and knee were bandaged. After a few seconds of being stunned, Jimin demanded to know how Taehyung had gotten injured.

Taehyung mumbled, "I got injured yesterday during training." He tried to straighten his leg, but this action only resulted in physical torment. The numbness in his knee was unbearable, and his ankle felt as though it was fractured in shattered pieces.

"I don't want you to participate in training sessions anymore," Jimin stated, his face worry-stricken.

"Hey, I'll take care of myself, Jimin. I really need this... to train in Anpanman, it gives me this feeling of exhilaration. I don't feel helpless for once. I feel useful. Strong. Powerful. Capable of fighting for myself. I just need you to trust me. Do you... trust me?" Taehyung's voice broke into somewhat of a whisper, unable to conceal his anticipation as he awaited Jimin's response.

Jimin sighed. He ran his hands through his hair, holding the strands back until they fell carelessly across his forehead again. Inevitable, just like the rising of the sun, Taehyung's desire to train is not something I can interfere with. Jimin remained silent, absorbed in his inner thoughts. Taehyung deserves this.

"Alright, Taehyung. Just promise me you'll be more careful," Jimin muttered, holding Taehyung's face to look at him. His cheeks were squishy, as per usual.

Taehyung nodded. "I promise."

Jimin was relieved to hear that. In fact, this short yet heartfelt talk brought comfort to the both of them.

"Alright then, you should stay home to rest. Does it still hurt?"

"Yeah, quite a bit."

"Stay home. I'll inform the teachers on your behalf."

"Thank you, Jimin."

Jimin reciprocated a genuine smile. Taehyung has grown up, he thought.

~

Taehyung napped for the entire afternoon. Training the day before had truly taken a toll on his energy levels. Unlike most people, Taehyung's naps were unwelcoming.

Taehyung awakened from his usual nightmares, feeling startled and frightened to the core. Heart racing, he closed his eyes, urging his mind to clear. Ignore it. Ignore it and it'd go away. Ignore- Thuds were heard. Someone was knocking heavily on the front door. Jimin didn't bring his house key again. Taehyung dried his tears on his sleeves before hobbling over to the front door. He groaned at the unforgiving, relentless pain in his leg.

"Jimin, how many times do I have to remind you to bring your house key?" Taehyung reprimanded as he opened the front door.

But it was not Jimin who stood on the porch.

"Jungkook..?" Taehyung did not know what to make of this situation.

"How's your condition?" Jungkook queried, hands in his pockets. He wore a plain black shirt with long jeans, a casual outfit that revealed little of his fortune, save for the fact that his clothes were branded and he wore brown Timberland shoes.

Recalling how Jungkook did not show up the previous training session, Taehyung riposted, "As if you care. Go away."

Jungkook's jaw tightened. He stepped past Taehyung into his house, all without permission. Taehyung yelled after him. Not paying heed to him, Jungkook entered his bedroom. Taehyung scuttled after him. "Jeon Jungkook. Get out of my room... and my house!" ordered Taehyung. Jungkook sat on the bed, appearing to be texting someone. Taehyung glared at him.

"Glad to see that you're feeling better," Jungkook told Taehyung. He sat on his bed, again demanding Jungkook to get out. "I was worried about you," Jungkook said in an undertone, but Taehyung heard it nonetheless.

"If you're going to give me an earful, save it. I already got one from Jimin. I don't need another scolding," Taehyung grumbled. He insisted, "Don't try to make me quit Anpanman."

Jungkook declared, "I joined Anpanman. I wanted to join you in training sessions."

Taehyung was in disbelief, unable to come up with an appropriate response. Thankfully, he did not have to respond, for just then, the doorbell rang again. Jimin's finally back.

But when Taehyung opened the door, he was faced with a group of three people in uniform. They wore a black suit over their white shirts. Taehyung backed away, inquiring who they were, and realised that Jungkook was now standing behind him. The group of three people greeted Jungkook in unison, "Master Jeon, which area would you like us to clean?" Jungkook showed them to Taehyung's bedroom.

Both shocked and confused, Taehyung stuttered, "W-what is going on?"

"Your room is dirty," Jungkook replied as though that explained anything. Taehyung scowled.

Jungkook strode towards Taehyung.

Taehyung leaned backwards, his back hitting the wall. Poops.

Jungkook leaned in close, and Taehyung retreated his face as far as he possibly could. Jungkook muttered, "Don't ever tell me to go away again. It hurts."

There was a moment of awkward silence before Jungkook continued, "Take a shower. You are smelly." What... Do I thank him for that? Taehyung thought, getting extremely offended.

The three helpers returned to the living room. In their hands were a towel and a fresh set of clothes, and they proudly held up a brand new shampoo bottle. The helpers listed its ingredients as though they were in a commercial, "Sodium lauryl sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine... lavender-scented." What. One of the helpers even flipped her hair and invitingly suggested that Jungkook and Taehyung catch a whiff of what the shampoo smelled like on her hair, for quote-unquote "experimentation purposes". WHAT.

Jungkook delivered a set of instructions to them to aid in refreshing Taehyung. "Jungkook! You're ridiculous!" Taehyung howled as the helpers dragged him away to the bathroom.