Chapter 22: Fate is Flawed Beauty

Friday night
Song: Epiphany

Flashback to Chapter 15.9: Fate is Flawed

Jungkook's voice was a calm, steady rhythm. "Taehyung. Regardless of whom I am fated to be with, I would rather be with you."

Taehyung blinked at that.

Less than a second later, it started raining, a light drizzle that evolved into a heavy downpour within seconds. Enveloping them in a hemispherical glass of light, Jungkook shielded them from the rain.

"Lighten your rain, Tae. I told you my light elemental magic is weak," Jungkook chuckled, reinforcing the glass of light with a translucent glass of darkness.

Taehyung mumbled an apology. Oh god this is so embarrassing. I started a whole goddamn rainfall out of shock.

Under the hemispherical tent, Jungkook wrapped an arm around Taehyung's side. Taehyung's heartbeat rapidly quickened as Jungkook pulled him closer. Too afraid to let go, Jungkook hugged him tightly.

With his face barely an inch in front of Taehyung, Jungkook looked ethereal. His tousled dark brown hair was thick and lustrous. His dark eyebrows sloped downwards in a serious expression. His jawline was strong and defined, facial features molded from granite. What struck Taehyung the most was his eyes. More often than not, they were desolate, reflecting a bisector between darkness and light. The emptiness in his eyes had consistently been a dead giveaway to the nature of his character, a shell that hosted a deserted spirit.

Yet, at that moment when Taehyung looked at Jungkook, he finally found someone alive, with a heart beating at a steady pulse, reciprocating his soul-searching stare. Taehyung stared into Jungkook's eyes, too stunned to look away. With Jungkook's eyes locked onto his, Taehyung was mesmerised, seeing galaxies instead of just pupils. He felt as though he was entering a house and finally realising he was home. The depth in Jungkook's eyes was richer than no one had ever seen before, and the subtle trail of a smile was enough to make Taehyung feel safe - safe in Jungkook's arms. For once in his life, Taehyung felt that everything was possible; that he could conquer his fears. Because now, he knew he was not alone.

Everything was exactly where they should be, and Taehyung knew that this intimate moment that belonged to the both of them felt entirely right when Jungkook said, "I claim you as fate."

Taehyung, smiling, replied, "Me too." He knew Jungkook might have been his first, but what he really wished for in life was for Jungkook to be his last.

Taehyung had Jungkook.

Jungkook had Taehyung.

Mine.

They had each other - and that was everything that they needed.

~

Taehyung somehow ended up falling asleep in Jungkook's arms at the top of a mountain.

End of flashback