Chapter 13.5: No Reason to be Jealous

Friday morning
Song: 24/7 = Heaven

Taehyung and Jimin ate breakfast, perfectly toasted bread, together.

"I made up my mind on whether I should join Anpanman," Taehyung told Jimin, "But I'd only tell you when we're with the rest." Jimin stared straight at Taehyung as he begged, "Taehyung, don't join them." Taehyung nodded and smiled, telling Jimin to trust him. As queer as he is, at least he's logical, Jimin thought, pleased that he had agreed.

"What are you boys talking about?" Mrs Park piped, strolling into the kitchen as she tied her hair up into a neat bun. Jimin's eyes widened. Taehyung opened his mouth to speak. Taehyung's living on one brain cell; I don't trust him to say anything decently un-stupid. Upon conceiving this frantic thought, Jimin stepped on Taehyung's foot under the table. Taehyung winced and looked daggers at Jimin.

Jimin held a finger to his lips before he forced out a stutter, "Taehyung wants to join a..." At the same time, Taehyung and Jimin discernibly said "ballet" and "Taekwondo" respectively. Jimin facepalmed. Our school doesn't even have a ballet club!

Mrs Park stared vacantly at the two boys, perplexed at their responses. Jimin covered up their pathetic lie, "Taehyung wants to join a ballet and Taekwondo team. This time, it was Taehyung's turn to facepalm.

Mrs Park pursed her lips, seeming to be in deep thought. She then said with a smile, "Well, it's up to you, Taehyung. As long as you take care." Thankfully, Mrs Park believed their lie.

~

Upon reaching the school campus, Taehyung and Jimin were unable to find Hoseok, Namjoon or Seokjin. But they did find Yoongi and Jungkook at their usual spot near the lockers. Jungkook and Yoongi wore a black jacket studded with gold and silver buttons.

Staring at Jungkook, Taehyung's question hung in the air. It was a lingering thought that he was uncertain as to whether he should ask aloud. Taking the cue to leave, Jimin pulled Yoongi to the side and kindly requested for Yoongi to buy him a cup of warm milk at the cafeteria. Yoongi snorted at that, but went along regardless.

"Where...?" Taehyung realised that there was no backing out now. Where were you yesterday?

Jungkook raised an eyebrow. Taehyung continued, "Where is your bucket hat?"

"Don't you hate it? I stopped wearing it," Jungkook replied, his eyes unmistakably vacant. Taehyung could not tell if Jungkook was pissed. He was entirely unreadable. Should I apologise?

Taehyung blinked. Just ask the question. "Where were you yesterday?" he forced out.

"I was at my father's company. He wanted me to join in a few business meetings so that I can follow in his footsteps after he retires."

"Oh. Did you have lunch?"

"I missed lunch, but I had dinner with Lisa later that day," Jungkook said, again inscrutable.

Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows. He pouted as he complained, "You should have come to school. Why were you having dinner with her anyway?"

Jungkook blinked. He closed his locker and leaned against its door. "You're jealous," he pointed out.

"I'm not," said Taehyung, though it was a stammer for he had caught a twinkle of amusement in Jungkook's eyes.

"You are," Jungkook said rather calmly, as though it were the indubitable truth.

"I told you I'm not," Taehyung insisted.

"I had to discuss some matters with Lisa. Besides, Lisa is a childhood friend and nothing more," Jungkook claimed matter-of-factly.

Despite his doubts casted on that claim, Taehyung responded, "Whatever. I don't care."

Jungkook tutted, "Hm, that attitude is an improvement from you calling me 'Dungkook'."

"Hey lovebirds, y'all done with your lovey-dovey talk?" Jimin chirped as Yoongi and he walked over.

Jimin yelped as his pants turned a shade darker. He did not take long to realise that Taehyung had sent water down his pants. In an act of vengeance, Jimin did the same to Taehyung before hurtling past the row of lockers. Yoongi laughed.

Jungkook smiled.