twelve ; prom night

The morning after my sleepless night my dad gathered us into the kitchen and was ecstatic to announce he had been promoted to the head of his department and we would be living a huge loft in Florida. My brother and I didn't react much to this news since we were so use to moving but we had added a "Wow congrats dad!" and "We're proud of you dad" into the excitement.

For the next two weeks I tried to distance myself from all my friends, it was one of my many methods of making the goodbye's easier. But since prom was near, it was unavoidable to be stuck into their many conversations of planning for it. After all it was my senior year and I did not want to miss the prom experience even though it was clearly overrated. However the sight of Nicki sitting on Michael's lap as he made her giggle was too unbearable so I found myself making excuses to leaving the group activities earlier. Sometimes I even drove to the hospital to visit Ashton who was getting better and better everyday, hoping I would one day have enough courage to tell him the truth before I leave this town. But I never do. Cody has barley been home since it was exam week for him so he spent nights at his college dorms, bunking with a friend. But I think he's just trying to keep himself busy so he won't have to think of Tiffany.

I was so occupied with avoiding my feelings and confessions I had completely forgotten something vital to the whole prom experience. A date. Michael and Nicki were going together and Luke who finally built up the nerve, asked Beth to go with him. So that left me and Calum. It was hours before the dance so I didn't have much of a choice. Besides, Calum and I have gotten closer ignoring the fact that he was the very definition of a player. However that was the very trait that brought him and I closer, I was his wingman or wingwoman. I would butter him up to any girl who had his eyes on and just like that they would come running into his arms, it was actually pretty fun doing it for him. We also found we had shared a passion of pulling pranks on our friends, so he was a better option than any other tools at my school.

After perfectly painting my toe nails a very sparkly silver color, I picked up my phone to call Calum. But before I could even dial his number, my phone began to ring. It was Calum.

"Hey I was just about to call you" I answered tucking my phone in between my ear and my shoulder so I could use both hands to apply top coat on my nails.

"Hey Franks, what color dress are you wearing tonight?"

I looked over to my closet door where my prom dressing was hanging. It was an off gold strapless dress, the chest detailed with sequences and fake diamonds as it continues down the dress, spacing out more and more until it hits mid-thigh where it goes into a flowy material all the way down to the floor. It was a pretty dress, and probably the only dress I wouldn't mind wearing in my entire life. My mom had mailed it to me a week ago, sort of a I'm-sorry-I'm-not-there-to-help-you-get-ready-for-your-first-prom gift. "Eh it's kinda a goldish-white color, why?"

"Cause you're going to be my date and we need to match" He replied, his confidence flowing out of the phone speakers. Calum wasn't the asking type, more of the it's my way or no way type of guy. It was obnoxious at first but that trait proved him to be really fun in our friendship so now I really don't mind and just go with the flow.

"Alright" I shrugged "Pick me up at five for pictures" and just like that the line clicked off.

...

It took me around three hours to get ready and I was worried it would take me past 5:00 but I made it. Curling my hair and placing it into an elegant side bun took half of that time. I was glad the purple dye finally faded from my hair and I was back to the dirty blonde color which I have missed a lot, Beth on the other hand was pretty upset that I used temporary dye but quickly got over it. Makeup didn't take much of my time since I don't usually use much, even if it was prom. I swiped a cream eye shadow and applied a light brown to the creases over that. A simple winged eyeliner look and a coat of mascara over my eyelashes sealed in the look. I decided to skip the lipstick until pictures actually took place so it would look fresh. I looked at the clock. 4:50 pm.