It's been a long storm

After an hour of touring statues, colorful flowers, and fountains, Marinette needed to sit down. The stinging in her knees had escalated to a point where it was difficult to ignore it. As the minutes passed, her steps became slower.

Just as the group had circled back to the Luxembourg Palace, Marinette finally convinced herself to speak up.

"Mrs. Jaqueline, would it be alright if I sat down for a while? My knees are killing me."

"I'm sorry to hear that. Of course, you can sit for as long as you need. The group and I will be exploring the English Gardens and should return back here in about forty minutes. Will you be okay all by yourself?"

"Yes," Marinette tried to some older.

"Could I stay behind with Marinette?" Adrien asked.

Marinette's jaw dropped open. 

"If you don't mind, Adrien. I see nothing wrong with that," Mrs. Jacqueline said.

"A girl and a boy shouldn't be left alone," Lila said with a desperate tone. All eyes were on Lila as her face turned red.

"This is a public area, Lila. Everything will be fine," Mrs. Jaqueline said, raising her brows. "Now we must hurry to beat the storm."

Just as the group was heading off to the next section of the garden, Lila jerked her head back and shot a glare at Marinette as if blaming her for pulling Adrien away. Marinette averted her eyes.

"Where would you like to sit, Marinette?"

"Anywhere is fine. Just as long as it's close. I don't think my knees will hold up much longer."

"How about those two seats over there?"

"That's good with me."

Marinette gently set herself down in the rusted metal chair. The chair overlooked a pentagon-shaped fountain with toy sailboats gliding across the surface.

"This really is a beautiful garden. I wish I could enjoy it without throbbing knees."

"We'll have to come back when your knees are all healed up."

Marinette's heart fluttered as she inhaled. Was he asking her on a date? Did he mean the entire friend group would come back? Or just her and him?

"As in the entire gang?"

"Not unless you want them to come," he said, staring out at the sailboats.

The wind's strength had tipped several of the boats sideways. That was when Marinette noticed how her surroundings and the fountain had darkened.

"I think you were right about the rain," Marinette said glancing up at the cloudy sky. Just then, thunder roared and dark clouds released a light drizzle.

"This was short-lived," Marinette said.

"No worries, I came prepared," Adrien pulled a black umbrella out his bag. Marinette instantly thought of the black umbrella he had given her in the rain. That was the first time they became "friends." The stinging in Marinette's knees seemed to move to her heart.

He scooted his chair closer to hers and opened the umbrella; the rain that had been slowly soaking her clothes ceased. There was something so romantic in the rain. It was quite a marvelous sight – to see the droplets of rain collide with the fountain water.

"This was our beginning," Adrien said, turning his head towards her. Her heart was thudding like a wild stallion. She kept her head downward. If she looked at him, they would only be inches from each other.