I once believed in love at first sight

Ladybug flew through the city with her yo-yo to Adrien's house. When she approached the mansion, she noticed all the lights were off. Even Adrien's room was dark. She felt a sense of relief wash over her.

He must be sleeping...and if he's asleep he hasn't been akumatized. Let's just hope he doesn't have any nightmares

She sat herself down on a nearby rooftop and waited. The night sky was an empty canvas with no moon or stars. Rain puddle had accumulated in the corners and pits of the sidewalk and pavement. It was almost eerie how the orange lamppost lights reflected off of the coated puddles of water and casted false shadows.

A chill ran down her spine and for some reason she felt afraid to be alone. Childlike fears were creeping in her mind. What if an akumatized Adrien snuck up behind her and choked her? What if Hawk Moth was somehow watching her?

Hawk Moth watching me...Why would I even think that?

She blamed her strange fears on the odd lighting and uncommonly dark night. She tried to think of something else to distract her mind.

Adrien. What were you about to say to me before I interrupted you? Why did I have to be so dramatic? The truth is, I do value our friendship and I don't want it to end. I just...got carried away. Maybe I was just overwhelmed by seeing you for the first time in a year. I'm sorry. I really am.

What if Adrien was trying to tell me he loved me? What would I have said? Would my buried feelings spring to life again? It doesn't matter. He wouldn't love me. No one can truly love Marinette. But Ladybug...

After two hours of thinking in circles, Ladybug reluctantly decided to return back home. She had a headache. As she landed on a rooftop near her room, she spotted a reflective glow coming from a nearby rooftop.

Her heart pounded. Was it a person? Was Adrien akumatized? Was he in villain form, waiting for her to return? Was that why his room was so dark...because he was never there to begin with?

She attached her yo-yo to the rooftop and landed firmly on the ground. It was amazing how her knees felt no pain as Ladybug. Approaching the dark figure lurking in the dark, she held her breath.

Her hand lunged for the figure and grasp it by the shoulder. The figure turned its head. She was face to face with demon yellow eyes. She stumbled back, losing her balance and tumbling. The figure trudged into the light, to reveal Cat Noir, wearing a depressed expression.

"Cat Noir! You scared the life out of me!"

"Sorry," he reached out his hand.

He effortlessly pulled her up without making eye contact.

There was an awkward silence that he seemed uninterested in filling.

"So, what are you doing spying on Marinette?" She probed.

His pupils grew wide. It was too dark to tell if he was blushing, but she assumed he was.

What a guilty looking Kitty.

"No, no! I wasn't spying."

"I saw you hiding behind this roof, looking into her window. I'm pretty sure that counts at spying."

"I was on patrol and stopped to take a break here."

Why was he spying on Marinette – her? Did Cat Noir know Marinette? A wild curiosity overcame her. Who was he? She wanted more than anything to see the color of his eyes without the mask.

"Do you know Marinette in your other life?"

He tilted his head, placing his hand on his waist.