CHAPTER 7: Down the Rabbit Hole

The forest is eerie and dark. I should have packed a flashlight but it didn't cross my mind in my hurry out the door. But honestly, even if I try to look for one I had no idea where they keep them. The only light I have is the dim light from the moon peaking through the branches of the treetops hitting the forest floor. Most of the trees here are huge! It'll most likely take ten of me linked hand-in-hand to hug one massive trunk. This place makes me feeling small and insignificant. As long as I follow the trail ahead of me, I should be fine, I tell myself.

The paths here aren't laid out very well either. I wish I had a machete to clear the bushes and twigs that cover where I'm walking. How Legolas is able to get around so quickly was beyond me. Then again, he did say he practically lives in here. It now dawns on me that coming here this late probably wasn't such a good idea. I feel like I'm trespassing on Legolas's territory and I can picture him angry with me for following him. I doubt then he would be willing to answer my questions.

Stopping in my tracks, I look around. I considered going back but I'm already a good length inside the forest. The opening where I entered is no longer visible. The path ahead also seems to also have disappeared unless you mowed down the grass and other natural debris covering it. I finally understand how one could get lost so easily because you didn't really know where you were going. I try to stay in a straight line but the trees are making that plan difficult for me. The trees grow and twist in every direction and you have to squeeze in between some of the smaller ones to get through. Deeper into the woods, panic slowly starts to creep up on me. I was lost.

Nothing behind me or in front of me looks familiar. I have no idea where I am or which direction to take to get out of the thicket of the trees. I check my cell phone but receive no service bars. Of course not. I'm in the middle of nowhere! In my desperation I did the only thing I could think of-I call out to Legolas.

"Legolas!" I yell. "Legolas, are you here? Where are you? It's me, Isa!" A flock of birds fly out from the branches above from my voice. I flinch and look around nervously in case someone that wasn't Legolas potentially hears me who could be dangerous. I'm standing quietly trying to see if I can hear his voice call back to me or even footsteps but I hear nothing. I let out a frustrated sigh and continue walking.

There's a small rock in front me I didn't see and stumble on it. I grab onto one of the smaller branches for support and rip a small piece of my shirt in the process. Great. I examine the hole by my shoulder and scrunch my nose at the pain when I touch it. One of the branches must have scratched me in my attempt to save myself from diving face first into the ground. I remove the sleeve where the hole is and see the fresh cut on my shoulder where the branch has left its mark. It's only a scratch but, still, it hurts like hell. My shoulder is throbbing. I carefully put my arm back in my sleeve and move on. There is nothing I can do about it but try to stand the pain since bringing a first aid kit didn't register in my brain.

Calling out to Legolas again, I receive no answer. Every few minutes I'd call out his name but the only voice I hear is my own, sometimes echoing in the distance. This goes on for about a good hour and I'm finally tired of walking. Hope was slowly fading away until I see different kinds of light ahead. My spirits lifts, thinking it could be another way out. I pick up my pace, very eager to get out of here. Shoving some trees to the side, the clearing I'm looking for finally appears. But there's still no Legolas in sight. The opening leads to a meadow with more trees but smaller and skinner ones with a clear path-a hiking trail of some sort that campers could travel through.

In the end, it really leads to nowhere but up a few hills and more forest. The paths in front of me are gone except for the dirt and moss covering the grass beneath my feet. And, of course, the trees. My heart sinks. I'm really starting to dislike this whole nature thing. I snap off a bunch of twigs in my frustration, throwing them carelessly onto the ground and continue walking. Because I know I'm already lost, there's no point in watching where I'm going anymore. But suddenly, a wall appears in front of me. I look up just in time before I collide with the wall of vines, ferns and bark in my way. I swear this wasn't here before or I would have noticed it given how it was like the Great Wall of China. It seems to stretch for miles to the left and to the right of me, blocking my straight course.