CHAPTER 19: New Revelations

"So, he didn't say anything to you?"

"No, not a word. He and another guard were talking in secrecy and merely said he has to find Legolas. He told me to stay in the marketplace and he would be back as soon as he could," Ellie explains. "Next thing I know, here you are."

"I wonder what's going on?" I thought about the giant spiders but why are they being so secretive about it? Everyone in the kingdom knows the threat they have over the people here. It just didn't make sense to me or Ellie.

"The guards have their oath of keeping things going on outside our walls a secret to the public to keep the Elves from panicking. Even Darcien hasn't once given me any information on anything all the decades I have known him."

"I know they're trying to protect everyone but it would be nice to be kept in the loop," I sigh in frustration.

"I'm sure they will eventually," she shrugs.

"Aren't you worried?" I ask.

Ellie places a comforting hand on my arm. "Yes, I'm concerned, but I know Legolas and the guards will do their best to protect the kingdom. We have some of the best warriors in all of Middle-earth. They have not said anything because there is no immediate threat. If there were, an announcement will be made. From my experience with my father, they like to seek council amongst themselves and find the best solutions before getting the public involved."

"Well...if you're confident that everything's okay..." I reassess the situation.

"I don't have an inkling of what's going on, but there's no use in worrying if Darcien said it's been quiet all morning."

"Yeah, I know..." I sigh for the millionth time. "I just don't like being kept in the dark." I already have my fair share of people keeping things from me these last few months.

Ellie smiles. "Yes, I understand."

"Can we try to get some of that tea? My head's hurting again," I say.

"I already got some for you," Ellie unfolds a cloth handkerchief to show me.

"Thanks," I say, taking it from her. It looks different than the herbs I'm used to seeing since these aren't in a teabag. The herbs are dry and rolled into a mossy type of paper.

"Remember what I said, Isa. These are a lot strong than the one Markus makes for you. Only put a little in each cup you drink with hot water."

"What happens if I take more than I should?" I ask curiously.

"Since your body isn't used this type of plant, your stomach will be aching for days," she warns. "And that should be the least of your worries. Just don't take too much of it, all right? It's a good temporary cure, but it can also be painful remedy."

"Sure," I nod. Although, I thought about it and a stomach ache would feel a lot better right now to me than these stupid headaches.

"So, what do you want do to now?" Ellie breaks my thoughts. "I'm afraid there's not much to do here, especially since we cannot go out into the forest or even to the outside courtyard."

"I don't know," I shrug. "We've pretty much been all over the marketplace and I've seen the gardens already. Is there anything to see inside the palace?"

Ellie's eyes suddenly light up. "Follow me," she motions with her head, making a quick beeline back inside.

"Ellie, slow down," I request, as I try not bumping into anyone in order to keep up with her. I don't know why this Elf-maiden is in such a hurry! It wasn't exactly that easy trying to run in a ball gown dress. We walk into the main patio where there are nobles lingering, talking about whatever matters amongst themselves. Ellie finally slows down and begins acting sophisticated and regal again as we make our way through the crowd, smiling and bowing. Once we're in the clear she grabs my hand and picks up her pace.