CHAPTER 11: Lórien: the Golden Wood

My head throbs at the slightest movement. I put my hands on my temples to attempt to keep myself from getting dizzy. I feel like my head is on the ground with the horses running next to me like a speeding train. Legolas is right about the effects of the wine but I'm not going to admit it to him. He always gets so smug whenever he knows he's right about something and I hate giving him that satisfaction without a fight.

"Good morning," I hear someone say. I roll over to my other side and look up. Legolas is trotting on his horse, trying to peer inside.

"Good morning," I groan and close my eyes again. "Why didn't you wake me at dawn?" I ask.

"I didn't know you wanted to be awake so early?" he looks at me confused with a smile.

I glower at him since I'm not in the mood for his jokes. "You told me we were leaving at dawn. So, why didn't you wake me?"

"Yes, I did say that, but-I did not say you had to be awake at dawn," he explains. "When I said 'we' I meant those of us who are on patrol and need to protect you."

"You can be so vague sometimes, you know that?" I reply, annoyed.

"Well, then, perhaps you should ask more questions in the future," he just smiles again.

"Are you trying to be a smartass?" I sit up, even more aggravated than I was before. The quick movement, however, causes me to wither back into my seat with my hands pressed against my temples again.

"You don't look very well," he comments.

"Please, Legolas, it is too early for you to be this irritating," I sigh. By this time, I have buried my face in my hands on my lap.

"I am not trying to get on your nerves, milady. I don't know why you always think that. I am just concerned about your condition. You're feeling the miruvor, aren't you?"

"What do you think?" I reply sarcastically.

"Nikerym, tampa!" Legolas says to someone and the carriage abruptly halts.

I see him get off his horse and disappear. I immediately move closer to the window to find out what he's up to. One of the guards hands him something wrapped in cloth and then walks back to the carriage. I sink back inside hoping he didn't notice me discreetly spying on him. He suddenly opens the door. "What's going on? Why did we stop?" I ask him. He sits on the opposite side of me and unwraps the cloth in his hand. "Lemba bread?" I'm even more confused.

"You need to eat something if you want to feel better," he says, handing it to me. I look at it as if it was a strange object in my hand. He stands up but doesn't get out. Instead, he closes the door. "Herill, please take care of my horse."

"Yes, sire," he nods.

"I will join Isa in the carriage for the time being." He looks at me and smirks. "Move on!" Legolas instructs the caravan. I still have a confused look on my face when he sits back down as we move again. What is he doing? "Eat," he says when he finally looks at me, realizing I'm just staring at him. He takes a piece of the bread and feeds it to me. I chew slowly still trying to figure out his strange behavior.

"Why are you in here?" I finally ask.

"To make sure you eat," he simply states. "Why, can I not sit in here with you?" he starts chuckling.

"Well, yeah...of course you can, but you never have before."

"Well, I'm here now," he smiles. "Besides, someone needs to make sure you eat," he adds.

"I'm not a child, Legolas," I answer, somewhat insulted. Did he really think that he needs to keep an eye on me?

He sighs and moves over to sit beside me. "I can never say the right thing with you, can I?" he asks exasperatedly, taking my free hand in his. "I am only trying to look out for your well-being. I know what miruvor can do to you. If you don't eat something, you'll feel it for days."