CHAPTER 18: The Perfect Day

Mirkwood didn't look the same when we arrive. It seems darker and less vibrant than it did when I last saw it. Some parts of the forest also seem barer like a great battle has broken out. Legolas tells us to stay close and be on our guard. It was nighttime in Middle-earth, the perfect time for a spider to seek out its prey. He gives both Ellie and I small Elven knives to protect ourselves with in case we need them.

"It is good to see you again, sire," one of the guards bows as we reach their gates.

"How are our warriors doing?" he asks, handing another guard his bow and arrows.

"Good, sire. We have not received any new casualties."

"Very good," Legolas pats his back. "Go and get some rest. I will take over."

"Thank you, sire," he bows again and heads to the underground kingdom.

"Darcien," he calls to another guard, "please escort the maidens to the palace." I turn to Legolas with a frown. "Don't worry, love. I'll see you again soon enough." He kisses my hand and resumes the post.

"Lady Ellessia?" the guard walks up to her.

Ellie smiles shyly. "Hello, Darcien."

"It has been many moons since we last saw you in Eryn Lasgalen," he takes her hand and kisses it.

"Yes, well...I have managed to keep myself busy," she smiles again.

He looks at me and smiles politely. "And who is your lovely maiden-friend?"

"Darcien, this is Isa Arwen. Lady Celebrían's daughter."

"A pleasure to finally meet you in person, Lady Isa Arwen," he also kisses my hand. "You've become quite well-known in Mirkwood."

"I'm sure I have," I roll my eyes with a smile. "And please, just Isa, is fine. And it's nice to meet you also."

"Darcien, stop flirting and get going," Legolas gives him a commanding look. Cleary he's not happy with our introductions. I don't understand why he has to act so possessive sometimes.

"Yes, sire," Darcien smirks at Ellie, who I swear I see blushing in the dark. "This way, my ladies," he extends out his hand, leading the way.

"Wait," I turn back and run to Legolas.

He smiles and caresses my cheek. "Don't worry, I'll be fine. As I said, I will try to join you as soon as I can."

I can't help but still worry about him. "You better," I say.

"I promise," he kisses my hand again and gently pushes me toward Ellie and Darcien who are waiting for me. They're trying to hide their smirks, which are clearly visible on their faces.

"Do not worry, milady. Master Legolas knows what he is doing," the guard assures me.

"He better," I mumble. It wasn't so much Legolas staying outside. I thought that once we go to Mirkwood we we're going to continue to spend time together-but nope. He jumps right back into his duties. I tell myself to have patience because he needs to protect the Elves and everyone is only doing their part to help.

"Legolas wanted Isa and me to have adjoining rooms..." Ellie tell Darcien.

"Very well, I will take you to the Southern wing of the palace," he nods.

"But-I do not want us to have adjoining rooms," she add to her sentence.

"What?" I look at her confused.

"We don't need adjoining rooms, Isa. We are no longer children and I know you will keep Legolas's orders in mind about venturing out on your own. You deserve some privacy, especially when Legolas is off duty. That's the only reason why we came here-for you to be able to spend more time together. It's not going to be an easy task if I am always around," she explains.