CHAPTER 20: Duties & Promises

The last two nights I've spent in Ellie's room. I told her a room close to her would be fine with me but she refused to listen. She says it's better for me to have company around as much as possible. And I'm not really in the mood to argue. Plus her company always did make me feel better so I agreed. I haven't seen Legolas around or heard anything from him. I wasn't sure if I was feeling worried or more disappointed he's nowhere in sight.

"Let's take a walk in the marketplace. The Mirkwood festival is going on today with different plays, games, and lots of food," Ellie smiles and extends her hand to me.

"Sure," I try genuinely smiling. Anything to distract me from Legolas. Ellie says I should hold off on the tea for a while since my emotions aren't really on a good page right now. My head is still throbbing on and off but it helps if I think about other things to distract myself.

As we get outside, the marketplace is even more packed than it usually is. There are banners, streamers, and balloons all over the place. Even the Elven-children are out, running all over the place with candy in their hands. Some I see are also wearing masks and watching magic tricks. Seeing Mirkwood so happy makes me smile. Everyone appears to be enjoying the festival. Ellie buys us masks to wear and caramel covered apples so we can blend in nicely.

"Are you having fun?" she asks with a smile.

"Yes," I smile back. "I'm glad we're here. Do you guys do this often?"

"A few times in a decade. From my understanding they have been planning this for weeks now."

"Ellessia! Isa!" Darcien calls, waving to us.

"Hi Darcien," I smile.

"Good day, ladies," he bows.

"I'm glad you can join us," Ellie smiles at him, handing him another mask she bought.

"Thank you," he takes it from her and puts it on. "I cannot stay long-many of us are still needed by the southern wall."

"I was just telling Isa how this festival had been in the works," she tells him.

Darcien nods. "It was postponed due to the giant spiders but many in the council thought it was a good idea to go ahead and let it start to show the people that there is nothing to worry about outside."

"Have you...seen Legolas?" I ask.

"Yes, earlier this morning. He was in a meeting with Aromin and the council for most of the night then came here at dawn to help with the set up of the festival. I believe he is in a meeting with some of the generals as we speak," replies Darcien.

"He was here this morning?" I look around, trying to picture Legolas setting up the marketplace to what we see now. "Has he slept at all?"

"A little here and there. Many of us sleep in small rooms with beds at the bottom of the towers when we need to rotate shifts. Only a few us have seen our own beds the last couple of days," he sounds weary.

"Well, we appreciate all you do in order to help protect us," Ellie gives him a warm smile.

"When was the last time you slept in your own bed?" I wonder.

"Roughly three days ago," he laughs to lighten the mood. "Master Legolas advised me to take a break but I could not leave him on patrol by himself."

"What do you mean?" I ask again.

He looks hesitant to tell me. "Master Legolas has been relieving those who have families to go home to while he covers their shifts. He doesn't like their families worrying."

"Oh, Legolas..." I whisper.

Now I understand why he's been missing by my side for the last two days. He puts his warriors and their families before him, which makes my heart go out to him for being so kind and generous to them. No wonder why he's loved so much by his people. A small part of me feels selfish for even considering and wondering why he can't put me first for once because who was I compared to hundreds-even thousands-of Elves who need him more than I do?