chapter 3

I didn't perform until 5:30 on the outdoor stage. I was not a headliner. Trust me, I am not that big, but I can say the outdoor stage is the second biggest stage. I checked my phone. It was 5:00. Half an hour before the show. I knew they were getting stage setup done right now, but I sat in my trailer, listening to music to hype myself up. I paced back and forth, reciting my song lyrics. Coachella is one of the biggest milestones as an artist. You play coachella, that means you've made it. I still wasn't really wrapping my head around the fact that in less than thirty minutes I would be on that stage, in front of hundreds, maybe thousands of people performing my songs. I stopped pacing to face myself in the mirror. I pulled my shorts up a little bit, the loose gray fabric reaching about halfway down my thigh. I straightened my vest, pulling the fabric down even though it wouldn't stretch. I scratched my head, shifting the bandana that was rolled and tied around my neck.

"Not nervous, my ass."

I turned to face Dakota who was watching me endlessly adjust my clothes. "I'm not nervous. Just ready to go on stage." I'm not good at waiting for things.

"Yeah, I get it."

There was a knock on the door and I heard someone call out, "Twenty minutes! Y/N we need you in the wings in ten." I paced a little more, trying to focus on the music I was playing. I was itching to get on stage.

Five minutes passed and I got another knock at the door. It was time. They escorted my parents and friends to the wings. Everyone, but myself was instructed to stand in the viewing area of the wings on stage right. I waited on a little 'x' where I was handed the black mic. Everyone was busy doing something. I stood awaiting the countdown, fidgeting with my rings on my right hand.

"Y/N, you ready?" I nodded. Ready as fuck. I heard the keys of my first song begin to play and the rise of cheers from an awaiting crowd. "You're on in three, two, one,"

He hit one and I left my spot, walking past my friends in the wing (Skylar gave a thumbs up), and walked on stage. The screams were louder than I'd thought they'd be and I was almost taken aback by the tremendous amount of people in the field before me. And that was about all the recognition time I had before the bass hit and I was rapping my lyrics. I jumped around, reaching the edge of the stage. The stage shook beneath me and the sea of people shouted every lyric with me. I held out my mic to the audience, amping them up with the other hand as I bounced to the beat. I looked at the group of girls at the barricade in front of me as I brought the mic back to myself. They were probably around my age, dressed in their best festival gear. One of them wore a shirt from my clothing line and I could tell she was really here, shouting every lyric along with me. I waved at her and grinned as she immediately freaked out. I moved my way along to the middle of the stage when the first song ended, the flashing lights going dark. They cheered and I couldn't help but smile.

"Coachellaaaaa" I shouted, eliciting a plethora of wild screams. I spoke, breathing heavily between each word, "Fuck bro, this shit's crazy." The next song started and I stood center stage as I rapped each word, the syllables falling out of my mouth with each hit of the kick drum. The lights started flashing and I made my way up a staircase. I had designed this part of the stage to be a tall tower, painted to resemble a skyscraper, just to give levels to my performance space.

I hit the bridge of the song as I walked up the steps, slowing down my words until I reached the top. I looked out over the mass of people, noticing some had gotten on their friend's shoulders. There was a break in the song and before the 808's came back in full swing. I jumped up and down, holding the railing with my other hand and watched as the crowd jumped with me, moving almost as one. That song ended and as the stage lights went dark I ran down the steps so when the lights came on again, I'd be on stage right. The next song had an immensely long intro of violin and keys before it got to the first verse. As typical of my shows I sat on the edge of the stage, as close to the barricade as I could get and listened as the crowd would try and sing the keyboard part.