Chapter 2b

...

...

...

-=o0/&\0o=-

I was still in awe that Mason was able to direct us to the caves and that Alberta had agreed to launch the rescue operation. As Dimitri and I began our walk alone together, my mother's words resonated with me. She had believed in me, both in my assertion that lives could still be saved, and in my abilities to fight. More than that, she had argued for my chance to be a part of the initiative to go into the caves.

Once we were far enough away from the buildings, Dimitri turned to me. "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry."

"For what?" I asked.

"Take your pick," he replied, "Not believing you about seeing Mason, any of the times when I didn't treat you like an adult ... you deserve my respect, Roza. And my trust. I want you to know that you have that now."

I was so stunned that I was completely speechless, amazed at the wonderful warm feelings I had from what Dimitri was saying. After a few moments, he continued. "I know I can't stop you, but I don't want you to fight today."

There went that good feeling. My voice rose about 10 octaves. "What? Why?"

"I don't think my mind will be on the battle. I'll be too worried about you, focused on keeping you safe instead of fighting. I want to come back from this," Dimitri looked around, turned to face me, and then took my hand, "And I want to come back to you."

It was a lot to think about. Did I want to fight? Absolutely. Did I want Dimitri to fight? Without a question. But was I willing to sit it out if it meant he wouldn't come back otherwise?

"I'll think about it," I said, finally, "But don't you think, after last night, that I could hold my own in a fight? Don't you know that I'm capable?"

"Roza," God, it thrilled me when he used my name like that, "it's not about that. Everyone gets caught by surprise. Do I want my focus to be offensive or defensive? I can tell you right now that if you're there with me, I won't be on the attack with them. After Spokane, I know you probably could, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm going to worry."

"Then, how are you supposed to fight Strigoi with me later on? What do you expect to happen when we're both guarding Lissa together?"

"We can't," he said, "I won't."

"We can't what?" I asked.

"We can't be guarding partners like that. After graduation, I have to distance myself. I'm going to apply to stay at the academy. I can't be around you anymore." I tried to keep my mouth from hitting the ground as Dimitri began to walk away.

"You can't stop me from fighting this afternoon," I called out to him, "I'm stronger than you think I am. And I don't need your help." I followed him back, taking the rest of our walk in silence, feeling the frustration and anger build in me.

As I walked, I could feel some tingling come through the bond and knew that Lissa was using her magic, but I just didn't care anymore. Let the rage build up in me. I want to kick some ass tonight.