Chapter 3b

All of a sudden, Dimitri disappeared and I was left there in his bed, naked and alone. I pulled up the covers around me, then heard a voice saying, "Well, that part's new."

With a gasp, I realized that I recognized the voice, "Adrian?!? Are you seriously dream-walking into my sex dreams now?"

"Little dhampir, I'd hardly call it 'sex' if you don't have any penetration, but I was certainly enjoying the show. I do have to admit, though, it was different this time."

"What are you talking about? This is always the way this dream plays out. Except for the part where Dimitri just vanished into thin air. And I don't think you've ever eavesdropped so invasively on my dreams before."

"Vanished? That's because I took him away. And I haven't eavesdropped on this particular dream of yours before. Because you're not the only one who's had this dream," he said.

He took a moment for me to digest his words until my eyes lit up with understanding. "He has this dream; doesn't he?"

"Often," Adrian replied. "But you never tell him that you love him. He never tries to take off the necklace, either." I sat in stunned silence for a moment, realizing what that might mean.

"Why, pray tell, does Dimitri have the same dream as you?" Adrian asked, "What. The Actual. Fuck? This really happened - didn't it?"

Shame filled my face as I admitted, pulling the covers tighter over my nakedness, "Yes ... you saw Victor Dashkov's trial. That was the charmed necklace. It wasn't really an attack charm; it was a ... a lust charm."

"Interesting..." Adrian replied. I felt dirty, like he was trying to mentally undress me of those blankets. "Has anything happened since then?"

"Why should I tell you that?" I asked.

"Because you need to report it if he is taking advantage of his student like that," he said, "I won't let him take advantage of you, little dhampir."

"You saw more than I would've liked you to see - lots more! You saw what I saw, Adrian. You know he wasn't taking advantage."

"Do I? It looked to me like you never gave verbal consent there for him to take off your clothes, or touch you in any of the ... many ... ever-so-wonderful places ... he chose to touch you."

The way Adrian said it made my skin crawl, but I felt the need to tell the truth, if only to protect Dimitri. "No," I said firmly, "I wanted him to, but nothing else happened. Nothing will ever happen."

"Are you sure?" he asked, though sounding mollified.

"He doesn't want me like that," I said, "Not while he's awake, at least. It doesn't matter how I feel about him."

"His dreams say a different story."

A thought occurred to me. "Adrian, how many times have you seen this dream?"

"Ten? Twenty? He dreams it a lot." Adrian paused. "Actually, come to think about it, most of his dreams are about you. Not all of them are as fun as this one, though. This afternoon, they were all depressing ones about the caves. He kept picturing different ways of you dying."

"So what happens now? Are you going to report this?" I asked. "You know it was just the lust charm on that necklace that made it happen."

"Little dhampir, tell me the truth: how do you feel about him?" his eyes were filled with understanding, but I could tell he would settle for nothing less than the truth.

"I'm completely in love with Dimitri," I said.

Adrian looked as though he had taken a punch to the stomach, but said, "Then I won't stand in your way. If his dreams tell me anything, I am pretty sure he loves you, too."  

--

Author's Notes:

Vote if you liked this chapter.  I ❤ votes!