Chapter 23 - Dream a Little Dream

Much like Dimitri had said a few nights before when he was in my room, the lust charm dream wasn't the only one that flashed through my head at night now.  He wasn't the only one who had been dreaming of our other times together.

I was in Dimitri's bed and he had just unbuttoned the white guardian dress uniform shirt. Suddenly, he disappeared, and I felt that familiar tingle of a spirit dream.

"Goddamnit, Rose, you were dreaming of that stuffy Russian asshole again," said a familiar and unexpected voice.

I blew out an exasperated sigh as I glowered at him, re-buttoning my shirt. "Adrian, why are you here? Leave me alone so I can get some sleep."

"You are sleeping, little dhampir," he replied.

"Of course, I am," I huffed out, "What do you want, Adrian?"

"I just wanted to say that I'm sorry. And I was hoping to ask you who the spirit user I saw you and Lissa walking with today was." 

Spirit user?

"I don't want your apologies. I just want you to leave me alone. And if you want to talk about spirit, you'd be better off talking to Lissa than to me."

Adrian replied, "I tried that already. She can't dream-walk on her own, but Lissa has figured out how to block me out. After a few seconds in the dream, she forced me out of her head. I tried three times and she blocked me completely after the first one. Now, it's like she turned off her phone - like she isn't accepting calls anymore from spirit dreams."

"Good," I said, "Now force yourself out of my head and let me have some peace!"

"I don't really want to just leave you, little dhampir. Can't I have a few minutes of your time?" he asked.

"No, Adrian."

"Could you at least ask Lissa to talk to me again?" he asked.

"No, Adrian," I repeated.

"But I love you, Rose," he said.

"If you loved me, you wouldn't have compelled me, Adrian. Goodbye." I turned my back to him.

"Rose, I'm sorry. What I did was wrong. I will find a way to make it up to you," he pleaded.

"I'll believe it when I see it," I said, "But you can start by leaving me alone."

"I will," Adrian said, looking dejected but resolute, "because I'm sorry. I screwed up. I love you."

With those words, the dream evaporated and I woke up. I knew if I drifted back off, I would be left to normal sleep again, but there I was on the middle of Christian's floor. The pillow he had given me helped, but it was still really uncomfortable. Christian was sleeping peacefully, evidenced by the quiet snoring coming from his bed.

I glanced at the clock to see that it was just before three o'clock. I felt hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable. I stood up and headed to the bathroom, thinking maybe if I splashed water on my face, it would help. The school staff members each had their own private bathrooms and kitchenettes, but students all had to share, so I headed out into the hallway, barefoot in my tank top and pajama pants I'd slept in to use the bathroom.

"Shit," I said, when I got there and looked in the mirror, realizing I hadn't worn my cross to sleep.  After so long taking off the other cross necklace to sleep, it had become habit to me to remove it.

Lissa had told me that it was possible for Adrian to compel someone from inside a spirit dream. But I didn't feel any different. Was he being true to his word, trying to make amends? After I splashed the water on my face, I went back into the hall and immediately bumped into a hard wall of muscle. Dimitri.