Chapter 18 - On Knife's Edge

When Yuri and I finished talking, Christian was nowhere to be seen. I checked the feeder area, but he wasn't there anymore. Lissa was also missing. Something told me that they were looking for some time alone, but Eddie and I were supposed to be officially on duty for field experience as soon as breakfast was over. I scanned the cafeteria for Eddie and found him sitting alone.

"Have you seen Christian?" I asked him.

Eddie replied, "He and Lissa went off somewhere to be alone before it was time to be guarded."

I looked at my watch. Breakfast would end in 5 minutes. If they weren't in the building, I didn't think we'd make it in time.

I tuned into the bond. They were in the chapel attic. My brain wanted to get the hell out of there before I was privy to any clothing removal, but I also knew what my responsibilities were. Lissa and Christian would need to get to class in less than 15 minutes, too. "Eddie," I told him, "Follow me."

As we walked, I kept an eye on their conversation, hoping to shut out the bond completely if I saw anything unbutton or unzip. At this point, Lissa had started to learn how to block me out, but that didn't mean she would always remember to do so.

Christian and Lissa were sitting on the floor, his back pressed against the wall while she was sitting between his legs, his arms wrapped loosely around her neck. "Liss," he said, "the attack on campus really shook me up. I was so worried about you until Rose came along and told me you were fine. I know you don't want to, but I really want you to go through the fighting training with me - especially since you specialized in a magic that hasn't really given any offensive powers."

"Do you really think it's necessary, though, Christian? I mean, I'll have guardians with me nearly every minute. And thanks to the bond, I'll have Rose with me every minute - even when she's not with me," said Lissa.

"That's just it, though. Until we get to the 'making little Dragomirs' - and I'm not entirely sure I'm ready to be a father, but, I'm willing to practice the baby-making anytime you want -, you are your entire royal family line. What we saw in Spokane just proves that the Strigoi want you - more than anyone else. I don't want to let that happen," said Christian. Lissa turned to look at him. "Lissa," he continued, "I love you. More than anything in this entire world. Please, let me keep you safe by learning how to fight."

Lissa smiled, "You've never used the 'L' word before. Does this really mean that much to you?"

"Yes," said Christian, as he leaned in to give her a small kiss, "but I'd love you, regardless."

"I love you too, Christian," she said. She was just beginning to get to the point where she could start to see auras without really trying, and she could see his. It was practically glowing a brilliant bright pink. She continued, "so if it really means that much to you, I'll do it. I know this might sound strange, but what would you say is the feeling you're feeling more than anything else right now?"

"It's love," he said.

"So, love is pink ..." she said. Her mind went to who she had seen pink on ... Dimitri!

I pulled back from the bond. I could doubt what I thought his feelings were in the past. I could question his motives for wanting to be with me in the first place. But auras don't lie. It didn't mean that he felt like that all of the time, and it didn't mean that my feelings were there with his, though. My mind was full of more questions than answers.

Eddie and I had just arrived at the chapel doors. "You better wait here," I told him, as I headed up to the attic by myself. No point in revealing the location of their love nest to Eddie. I headed up the stairs and knocked on the door.