The Minecart Chase

Desert Biome, OverWorld
Night

"If we're going to help you guys get home, we need to get you guys the strongest armor there is—Netherite armor," Elena said, "but that means we'll need to travel to the Nether to get it."

"You can't be serious?" Petra said, "we can't go there. That place is crawling with bad mobs!"

"Do you want to live to see another sunrise?" Elena asked. Daniel and Petra both nodded their heads. Indeed they did want to see another sunrise.

"Why don't we just use iron armor and swords? Or diamond perhaps?" Daniel asked.

"Sure iron and diamond are durable, but they aren't as strong as Netherite armor. Everyone here has a full set of Netherite armor—for certain occasions of course," Elena mentioned, "what is it that scares you guys about the Nether anyways?"

"Lava, Moglins, Ghasts. You name it. That's what we're afraid of," Daniel answered.

"Nothing a little magic can't do. After all, I was Merlin's apprentice," Elena said. "We leave now."

"Right now?" Petra asked, "at this hour?"

"Enough! Do you want my help or not?" Elena asked.

"Well yeah," Petra said.

"Then we leave now! Come with me," Elena said as she opened the door and walked outside. Daniel and Petra reluctantly followed after her. The door closed behind them.

Outside, they were walking towards what looked like minecart tracks. That's actually what they were. There were two minecarts sitting dormant on the tracks. Daniel and Petra walked up to the mine cart and got in. They were going to share one.

Elena stood behind both minecarts. She was going to push the minecarts until they went over the redstone power rails. As she pushed the minecarts, Sheriff Robert approached them riding on his horse.

"Elena?" Robert said, "where are you guys going?"

Elena stopped pushing the mine carts. She turned around to look at Robert. "We're going to go get them some Netherite armor. Tomorrow we're going to be teaching them how to fight," Elena said. "We'll be back by dawn."

"Be safe. All of y'all," Robert said, "I'll watch over the town while you're away Elena."

"Thank you, Robert," Elena said as she turned around and proceeded to push the minecarts again. They began moving on their own, closer to the first power rail. Elena hopped into her minecart. And just in the nick of time too. Both cars rolled over the power rail, instantly giving them a speed boost.

"Where does this track take us?" Daniel asked.

"To a Nether Portal," Elena said, "the last Portal in existence."

As the minecarts continued to glide down the tracks, Daniel and Petra watched the scenery around them swoosh by. The moon was now halfway through its shift. It was a full moon tonight.

"I thought all Nether Portals were dismantled after the battle for the OverWorld?" Petra questioned.

"Not all of them," Elena said as a shadow was seen by Elena. She looked up into the night sky, but didn't see anything. Weird. She ignored it and looked away. It was probably just a phantom.

"Look!" Petra shouted as she pointed out in front of her, "who is that?"

Elena looked over Daniel and Petra's shoulders to try to get a good look at what Petra had seen. Elena quickly grabbed her bow and arrow out of her inventory. She also grabbed a single flaming arrow.