Chapter 3

The house was beautiful. There were paintings and statues of my family everywhere. Dad led me to a room with a giant bed with red covers and white pillows. There was a walk-in bathtub in the corner of the room and doors out to a balcony that overlooked the ocean. I smiled at it.

"Thank you, dad." I tell him. He pulls me into a bear hug with my face squished against his large chest.

"Anything for you. Please be patient with me the next couple of weeks. I know that is not an attribute I possess, but you do. I am having a hard time with this transition. Today watching all the gods drool over you was hard not pulling out my dagger and gutting each of them." He tells me honestly.

"I know father. I am sorry. I shouldn't provoke them." I say to him apologetically.

"Nonsense. It is a strategy to get your opponent to play their cards for you to see. I understand but you will always be my sweet little girl. My favorite daughter will have to play the game in order to win any prizes." He grins at me. I laugh at him. He was always pragmatic, but I had learned that from him.

People portray him as full of anger and he was to an extent, but it was passion. Passion to be the best is what drove us to fight others. Passion to win. We were smart and strategic just like Athena, but we also used our brute strength which she did not. Sometimes the easiest path was the best course and you didn't need tricks to get there just a little determination and muscle.

"Can I go walk on the beach?" I ask him. He nods and smiles at me.

"Yes, be careful though. You never know who is watching you." He warns and walks out. I walk out and head down the stairs to the beach. I take my sandals off and I walk into the waves. I loved the feeling of sand on my feet and water lapping at my legs. I hold my skirt up and relax as the waves calm my nerves.

I walk back to the edge and sit in the sand pulling up my skirt to let my legs lay in the water. I close my eyes and let the sun warm my skin as the cool waters keep me from overheating.

"May I sit with you?" I hear a voice ask behind me.

"Yes." I say as I recognize the voice's owner. I feel butterflies in my stomach as he sits close to me.

"Thank you. I was surprised to see Ares take you out of the party so soon." He tells me.

"Yes, I think the attention was making him upset." I explain. I look at his handsome face and smile. His deep blue eyes matched the color of the water in front of me. They pulled me in just like the waves at my feet.

"Will he be mad at my presence here?" He asks me as he grins. He knew my father would care but not say anything. His eyes sparkle with mischief and I loved it.

"Maybe, but it matters more if I like your presence." I say and his grin widens.

"I would love to hear your opinion of me so far." He asks me. I laugh, he was a smart man. Cunning and playing the game aggressively by seeking me out so soon but I couldn't tell why yet.

"I have not decided." I say simply and look back to the water.

"What questions can I answer that would help you form an opinion?" He asks and his shoulder brushes mine. I loved the warmth of his skin touching mine. His skin was the perfect sun kissed tan that surfers usually achieve after hours on the water.

I think about his suggestion and what would help me understand this handsome man more. "Well, I guess, I am curious, how and why you found me so quickly after leaving the party?" I ask him and his smile widens. His perfect white teeth were almost blinding in the sun. I looked away from him but had a small smile pulling at my lips.