A Vicious Reunion

Dean allowed himself to be picked up once more. Thor twirled the hammer and alighted. His flight took them along the bridge and beyond Asgard's gates, the warriors following in his wake.

Asgardians gathered in masses to watch as their prince returned. Surprise colored their features, for Loki had told them Thor was dead. But proof of his vitality was looming overhead, speeding quickly toward the heart of the city, toward the palace. They moved swiftly through the halls, with Thor leading the way up stairs and through a series of corridors until they had arrived at a massive bedchamber. In the center of the room was bed encased in a field of strange, golden energy. And in the midst of this energy, the figure of Odin himself.

"Your father sleeps, restoring his power," a female voice spoke from the shadows.

"Mother," Thor spoke as he stepped forward.

A tall and regal woman walked toward him. Her blond hair was gathered in a single, thick braid that hung over her shoulder. An ornate crown of gold was fixed upon her head and she wore a flowing gown the color of the skies outside of the palace. This was Frigga, queen of the Asgard.

"Where is Loki?" Thor asked his mother as she moved to sit at the chair next to her husband's bed.

Frigga's beautiful countenance darkened as she cast her eyes downward. "With Odin asleep and you gone, Loki ascended to the throne. Since then, he has been very secretive in his actions."

Thor smiled knowingly. "Mother, it was you who taught Loki his magic. You were raised by the witches of old."

Frigga's smile returned. "Aye, son. I have seen what Loki is doing, even if he attempts to hide his deeds under cover of his magic. He does not deceive me. Your brother has taken the Casket of Ancient Winters. He means to use it on the Bifrost as he opens a path to Jotunheim.."

Thor shook his head. "He would destroy Jotunheim. Why?"

"To gain Odin's favor," Frigga announced. "He has always felt more deserving than you. Loki knew that he would never have a kingdom of his own. The only way he could have this was to be rid of you. That is why he tricked you into invoking Odin's wrath."

Thor nodded. "Yes, mother. I know of this." He turned around. "We are going to find Loki. I will reason with him."

Frigga smiled somberly. "Thor...there is more to this story than you know. But it is not my tale. Go to Loki. Reason with him if you can. But I fear he has gone beyond this."

The queen of Asgard shifted her gaze to Dean and eyed him with a curious glance. "So...the Norns did not lie after all."

"Mother?"

Frigga smiled at Dean and then Thor. "Go. I will not spoil the future."

Thor grabbed Dean and took flight. They soared out of the room from the balcony and moved briskly back down the Bifrost and toward Heimdall's spire- where the watcher god transported travelers to and from the various worlds. The watcher himself stood encased in a sheath of ice just outside of the spire.

"Loki has used the Casket on him," Thor growled.

They landed on the bridge and Thor disengaged from Dean and stalked toward Loki. Dean observed him. A tall and thin being with pale skin and long, black hair. His robes were of a deep green and black, and a golden helmet sat atop his head. Two tall, curving horns jutted out of the helmet, creating a demonic visage. And speaking of visages, Loki's face held a cruelty that was immediately noticeable. As he paced, he waved his long, golden scepter with careless anger. He spun around, his eyes were filled with the vision of Thor moving toward him.