s i x | lilith

Bitterly cold and humid - such an enchanting combination. Every surface, every blade of grass and twig is growing long ice crystals ten or more millimetres in length. They are little forests of ice, pure white "trees" growing without roots. We had been instructed to study wildlife for herbology class ; find a plant and express it's beauty through the power of art with a pencil and parchment paper .  I had been out in the courtyard all morning trying to find something beautiful, not too over the top but very exquisite. 

"You're looking in the wrong place" a unfamiliar voice whispers

I  slowly turn around as I look up at her I begin to feel butterflies in my stomach ; I had never felt that way about anyone in my life. Her eyes were the colour of a perfect spring sky, so blue and so mesmerising  . Her volumous champagne curls cascaded over her shoulders and stopped below her scarf.  She was a reasonable height for her age, not to tall but not short as well. 

She smiles, taking her hand out of her coat pocket and gesturing me for a handshake "Amelie Egorton, Year 6..You must be Lilith" 

I shake her hand " Y-Yeah, How did you know ?" 

She smirks " I have my sources" Amelie says slyly 

I look down at her jacket  "You're a Slytherin" I say in a confused tone

Amelie didn't seem like the devious, cunning or mean spirited type at all. Most of the Slytherines I had always crossed paths with were cold hearted gits, but she was the polar opposite. 

" I'm suprised you're not" she retorted. She begin to study me from afar , "Platinum blonde hair, Eyes as grey as the ash in a dying flame - " 

" I know what you're about to say next" I sigh loudly as I sit on a nearby bench "Heir of Slytherin?,  Unwanted Child. I've heard it all before" I feel my fists clench as I try and refrain myself from saying anything worse. 

" Just because your were basically concieved out of wedlock, dosen't mean you have to punish yourself for what happened . It was 17 years ago Lilith, move on.  The past is the past for a reason, but if you hold onto it the future can never commence"  

No matter how much I wanted to deny it deep down I knew she was right. All I ever wanted,  ever yearned for was to be in there lives ; for us to be a "family".  And even though they tried to pretend to care they never really had the time. Hermione loyalties lied with the Weasley's and her job at the Ministry and Draco only cares about his appearance more then my wellbeing. 

"Aha !" Amelie proclaims ; " I've found the perfect flower" She rushes over and grabs my hand, pulling me towards a hidden flowerbed full of the most purest flowers i'd ever seen.  They had a distinct beauty to them - one I couldn't even begin to describe. 

"  Wild Calla Lilies, they're my favourite. So simple looking yet so beautiful. Mum and I always used to go down by the mountains and always surround ourselves in a field of them. It felt like heaven on earth to us" I begin to sketch her as she admires them " Do you guys still go there ?" I ask.

She pauses "Not exactly" I could hear her voice begin to get softer, I look up from my paper with concern and I hesitate "Wh-"

"She's not dead; she's just a dead to me. After my 6th birthday she abandoned me with my abusive father. She left us for a man with more money, more stability and a better life. She traded me for a new frock. Those moments were my only memories of her,  after that it was like she fell off the face of the earth." 

She tucks her hair behind her ear as she continues to look at the lilies, she rips one of it's petals from the bulbs ; I could see her trying to hold back tears, she bit her lip in anguish.

" I learned to never expect the unexpected after that. People let you down Lils, it's human nature. " As she finishes speaking I finish sketching my work of art. "I'm done" I say softly as I approach Amelie. As I turn my paper around I see the brunette's face light up with happiness. I might not have been able to see into people's soul's but from her facial experssions I could tell she was smiling on the inside. 

Though the coldness of the October snowfall had numbed my fingetips I still felt a warm sensation in my heart, it felt so nice. 

A chapter in my life had finally been shut,  

But who knows how the next one will start.