Ep 39 - Conviction [Ch. 8]

(Arc 5 - Tracks - pt 5)
From the poll last chapter, we're sticking with a platonic SasuNaru relationship. 20 -11 (I did not expect so many people) But there's romantic SasuNaru if you squint???

Oh and canon has been chucked out the window. :D I fucked up the timeline so it is what it is, I guess.
•<>•<>•<>•
Sasuke

The initial anger Sasuke felt rising up was expected, but the lack of strength behind that fury was what caught Sasuke off guard. That didn't settle in his stomach very well. 

He'd held on to his hate for Itachi for a long time, and it was almost unfeasible for him to think otherwise. It was how he'd lived for a good portion of his life.

(Thinking about it, he may have started letting go of that hate a while ago)

Still, it did nothing to soothe the overwhelming mess of emotions he was experiencing from seeing his brother again, so Sasuke settled for glaring at the other Uchiha. 

"Sasuke," Itachi said, voice barely above a whisper, while staring at his younger brother. 

Itachi's face was almost devoid of emotions, but the subtle shake of his voice gave his feelings away.

Somewhere inside, there was a part of him that held him back from outright jumping for his brother's throat. He wasn't sure what it was. But there was one thing he was certain. He had gone after Naruto, not Itachi when he first left the village. 

He'd been doing this for his best friend. Naruto.

Perhaps he knew that there was a reason Naruto was standing beside Itachi, a reason Naruto was in the same group as his brother. It was obvious they trusted each other. 

Despite that, his anger wouldn't just fade. Though he couldn't bring himself to feel like he had been betrayed in any way.

It was a strange feeling. 

"Itachi," Sasuke eventually settled to say. His voice was blank and he hoped his face was the same.

"I'm surprised you haven't tried attacking me already." Itachi remarked, the tired look ever present in his eyes. 

"My reason for coming here wasn't for you, Itachi. Don't think I left the village just to kill you." Sasuke said, anger still present in his voice.

Naruto wasn't sure what to do at that moment so all he did was give an awkward chuckle as he rubbed the back of his head. He nudged Itachi at his side and seemingly brought the older Uchiha back to his senses and cleared his throat again. 

Itachi stepped forward and Sasuke shot Naruto a questioning look. Blonde just gave him a vague thumbs up and Sasuke sweatdropped at the obvious gesture.

He then returned his attention to his older brother just a few feet away from him, arms crossed.

Itachi sighed in defeat and was the first one of the two to speak.

"We have a lot to talk about."

•<>•<>•<>•
That night

Naruto didn't want to do anything drastic that would interfere with the brothers time together. They had a lot of history to work out with each other, and he wasn't going to try and shove himself between their relation. Naruto knew that they needed to make up with each other.

Naruto had convinced Itachi to try again, after all. All he had to do was trust Sasuke.

Naruto sat on an edge of the the mountain as he laid back and stared at the sky.