Chapter 20. Confessing.

Chapter 20

“What were you...? Why?” I was so confused.

“Brooklyn, I have heard a lot about you. The boys have mentioned your ability to sing multiple times, but I never thought you would have been that good. Would you like to come in sometime and talk about a contract?” Simon said on the other side of the phone.

“Look, I appreciate the offer, I really do, but I really just don’t think I could handle it. Honestly. I can’t handle my life right now, how could I handle it with that much stress?” I explained.

“I understand. If you change your mind, call me anytime.”

With that, he hung up.

“How could you turn down that offer?! You were just given the opportunity to get big and you turn it down?” Harry asked.
“I told you guys, I can’t handle it. I’m sorry.”

“You can handle anything... You’re the strongest person I know! Everyone will love you...” Niall pleaded.

“Are you trying to make me never be able to see you?”

“Brooklyn! I would never do that... You could open for us the rest of the tour. We’d see each other all the time!”

“You won’t give up will you?”

They all shook their heads.

I sighed. Oh lord...

“I’ll think about it.”

They all cheered for a few seconds, and then ran off to play around in the park. Niall stayed behind with me, and we decided to take a walk.

“So, you’re really going to think about it?” Niall asked hesitantly, knowing I’ll probably just say I’ll think about it and never really do it.

“I mean yeah, with my mom gone, I ought to make something of what’s left of this family, you know?”

“I understand, but, what do you mean what’s left of it?”

“Well, my mom and sister are gone, and I never see my dad, so what’s left of it besides me being known as “John Adams’ daughter”? I’m really getting tired of it! Maybe it’ll make my life a bit less dramatic, you know?”

“Yeah, I under- Wait. Sister?”

Shit. “Yeah, um... I had been planning to tell you… I had a younger sister… When my mom started doing drugs she was only a year younger than me… She was the best thing to happen to me. After a year of me taking the pain for her, I stayed a week at Alexis’ house; I came back home and Maggy, my sister… She had been neglected the whole time… She was skin and bones from not eating. Scars all over her face from mom hitting her. She… She died that night from starvation…” A tear rolled down my cheek.

“Oh, Brooklyn…” He wiped the tears off. “I’m sure she’s proud to be looking down on you and see what a strong and beautiful older sister you are.”

I nodded. “I’m just really missing her lately…” I can’t believe I didn’t tell him the entire story…

He just nodded and continued walking, holding my hand.

He changed the subject back. “There’s a lot of downsides to it as well, Brooke. I don’t want you to get in over your head. You’ll get hate, you’ll be busy all the time, you will hardly have free time, and you see what I’m saying? Yes there are more pros than cons, but there are cons, and I don’t want you to get your hopes up and then be disappointed. I love my job and all, I’d never choose anything over it, but I haven’t gone through as much as you have.” He explained. I never really thought about it that way… My life is really complicated, and I might not be able to handle it. But, why not try? If it doesn’t work out, then it doesn’t work out. What is there to lose?