Ch-17 The Room of Prayer

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

'Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet and Master Muhammad (s.a.s), all his blessed descendants and noble companions.'

- Aameen.

Dedicated to sadaf846 for her generosity in sharing the beautiful poem A Tale of a Leaf

Chapter Seventeen

The Room of Prayer

London, U.K.

Ahmed had just exited the lift when he spotted Mrs White entering the visitor's lounge.

"Mrs White just a moment,"

"Oh Dr Montex, good morning; I was just going up." She gave her little smile.

Ahmed nodded. "I've been meaning to speak to you. If you please," He indicated the lounge which was empty except for the concierge.

When they sat opposite to each other, Ahmed began in a quiet tone, "I wanted to thank you for your excellent service all these years but you realize how so much has changed now,"

Penelope White maintained her tight smile though she felt as if she was rapidly sinking somewhere deep.

"I do hope you continue to carry on, only see to it that my wife is satisfied. Whatever Humaira wishes, try that it's accomplished; I don't think she would be an exacting mistress, but see to it that she doesn't become displeased."

"But Dr..."

"If it isn't satisfactory to you, I can always give you a good reference Mrs White," His face remained impassive yet Penelope felt that he saw through her. She nodded reluctantly, "I'll do my best."

"Thank you, that is all."

Moments after he had gone, she sat still as if turned into a statue. Then seeing that Paul, the concierge had also left, she took her phone and dialled calmly though she felt cold inside.

"Mr Montex I just spoke with your son now."

"Where?"

"Not in the home, but down here in the lounge, he was leaving for the hospital."

"So?" the voice came bored.

"He indicated that I would be removed if I didn't 'satisfy' his wife..."

"So she doesn't remove you directly but goes to him huh? What is she, a wimp?!" Draco sneered.

"I guess." Penelope agreed frowning. "And I think she got angry by some of my comments."

"Behave Mrs White, don't get fired," he warned.

"Y...yes sir."

"Good. Let's see how long this farce would continue."

And even after the call ended she sat rigid, her mind in a painful whirl. From underneath the stern binds of control, seeped the thought in a weary monotone...tired tired tired. Just a few months back, she had been if not exactly happy at least satisfied with how her life was... all those years of friendship with Peter finally developing into something else and her son into college, her fulfilment of dreams... yet look what he had turned into now!

Penelope felt as if everything was collapsing around her. She could of course quit this job and apply easily to another but then she won't get the extra money that Draco Montex was giving her now... all that spying on his son and with the money she was paying the rehab for the recovery of her own son. What irony! She suppressed a shudder and got up to face the woman who had started all this.