Chapter 5

3rd Pov

Winnie wound up the music box and opened it. The sweet melody started to play as everyone listened. It was beautiful.
"I missed that old tune" Jesse said, reminded of his mother.
Winnie wanted to know about where they all went after they left New Hampshire. "Hey Jesse, where did your mother and father, and miles too, go after you all left?"
Jesse waited a moment clearly thinking. "Well Miles was here in New York, I think Brooklyn. Ma and Pa went west I believe. New Mexico maybe."
It was Jacks turn to speak up. "Wait wait wait, Crutch I thought youses had no folks? And I even asked about Santa Fe, That's in New mexico."
"Hey yes, wait a moment," Dave said "I thought your parents died in a fire when you were young crutch?" Realisation hit Jesse like a bullet. He'd have to admit he'd lied to them, with out explaining why. So cover story here he goes. "I guess i have to tell you the truth huh." Winnie was confused, He was going to tell them? "You're just going to tell them about it? Really Jesse?"
"Yes Winnie, I am. My parents were criminals. Killed a man with a bright yellow suit in Tree gap New Hampshire. That's why we moved. But we all had to split. Me and my brother moved here and they moved west. It was foolproof" Jesse finished. He looked at Winnie to see her just staring at him, then she let out a huge deep breath. "Oh goodness right I'm sorry, that story" David and Jack sat there with their jaws on the ground. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN, KILLED A MAN?" Jack yelled.
"My Ma, she hit a guy over the head with a rifle. In her defence the guy was holding a handgun to Winnies head"
"I'm sorry," David interrupted "He was holding a gun to her head?"
"He was holding a gun to my head, yes David" Winnie said.
"I'm wondering how this never came up?" David exclaimed.
"Remember when I was kidnapped at 11? That's when it happened"
"Oh ok, I remember that"
The 4 of the talked for a while about just about everything until Jack asked about the one thing Winnie forgot about.
"Hey Winnie, why do you have a bottle of water around your neck?"