Chapter 4

“Ahhhh, cover your eyes, kid! Hurry, hurry!” Jennie instructed Axel, who currently sat next to her on the couch pressing a pillow into his face, secretly mortified at the amount of times he’s had to repeat this routine in a single episode of ‘Orange Is The New Black’.

“I can still hear them, you know!” He grumbled back, voice muffled by the pillow, rolling his eyes beneath his eyelids. “You have got to be the worst babysitter ever.”

“You know, most brats your age would appreciate being allowed to watch mature content.” Jennie pulled the pillow down, letting him know it was safe to resume. “Just, whatever happens, do not tell Rosie.”

“Yea, yea, I know the rules…” He grumbled, reaching into the popcorn bowl and grabbing a handful before flicking his eyes back to the screen. “Ugh, I can’t believe Piper would cheat on Alex! I mean, I get that Alex ratted her out, and yea… she sorta tricked Piper into lying and was set free while Piper got thrown back into prison but… Alex is her soulmate! How could she cheat on her like that!” Axel shook his head from disappointment.

“Two words kid: Ruby. Rose.” Jennie chimed, stuffing a handful of popcorn into her mouth. “I mean, can you blame her?! Stella is finger lickin' hot! No mortal being can resist that bad girl act and those tats!” Jennie stopped for a second, having a sudden flash of Déjà vu as an image of Lisa and Roseanne flowed into her mind for no particular reason. She chuckled, Roseanne must be a goddamn deity than.

Jennie’s phone went off and she answered without glancing at the screen for an ID. “The kid is fine. He’s alive and watching Bambi.” She spoke, monotone and distracted by the show, figuring it was Roseanne calling to check up on them.

“Jennie, hey! Listen, er- sorry… I got your number from Somi…I hope that’s alright.”

The raspy, slightly quavering voice that seeped through the phone caused Jennie to shoot up, flipping the popcorn bowl and scattering its contents all over the floor.

“I was wondering, if you’re not busy right now, can we- I dun know, meet up? I can come to you! If that’s better, or- “

“I thought you were going to see Rosie…” Jennie jumped in, causing Axel to shoot her a confused glance. “Are you there now?!”

“Uhhh, I was. But I left…” Lisa responded, tone soft and fragile. “It didn’t go so well.”

“Ahhh, crud.” Jennie sighed, pausing the show and earning a displeased look from Axel.

“Alright, I have to feed the kid anyways, so…” Jennie looked to Axel, “kid, what do you want for dinner?”

He shrugged, uncertain. “I thought the popcorn was dinner.”

“What! I mean like, real food, kid! What are you craving?” she asked again, telling Lisa to hang on.

Axel shrugged again. “Cupcakes?”

Jennie glared at him, shaking her head in disbelief. “Seriously? Axel, you are highly mistaken if you think I will allow you to have cupcakes for dinner?! What kind of friend-slash-sitter do you think I am? Absolutely NOT, young man!” Jennie spoke sternly, shaking her head, earning a confused and misplaced glare from Axel.

"Ice cream?" Axel countered, offering a second suggestion after a short pause.

Jennie's stare was frigid for a moment, but Axel held it, unwilling to back down. "Now you're talking." Jennie agreed, stare diffusing into an impish look, and turned her attention back to the phone. “Alright, PG…meet us at Polis Ice Cream Shop in 30 minutes.”