Fourteen

Sam Pov

I had a cup of coffee in my hand, Dad was sat opposite me, I don't know where Grandma went after the argument here but I didn't really care either way, (she was increasingly getting on my nerves at this point in my life, you know).

We sat in silence for a while, I was quiet as I was still trying to fully wake up, Dad was quiet because he was still a little angry at Grandma but was trying to hide it from me, (I say tried to hide it because he was not succeeding in hiding it from me), I eventually broke the silence by being near tears and I also started apologising.

"Daddy, I'm sorry-"
"Woah Sammy baby, why are you sorry?, hey, why are you sorry Sweetheart?"
"I heard some of the argument with Grandma and I-"
"No, absolutely not, we're not doing that as that is not your fault Baby, don't you even dare think for a second that it's your fault, ok, Honey you didn't choose for her to leave you on your own, come here Sweetheart"

Dad opened his arms and I went straight for a hug, because Dad always gave the best hugs, I then burst into tears but honesty I needed a good cry too, so I had a good old cry sesh, (cry sessions honestly help me feel better about life).

"It's ok Baby, I'm proud of you"
"Really?"
"Yeah, I'm so proud of you, you did something that most adults which includes me struggle with-"
"What did I even do though?"
"Are you going to make me spell it out for you Sammy?"
"Well yeah Dad, you're gonna have to spell it out for me as I'm not fluent in Dad talk here"
"You little shit"
"(Chuckles), I love you Dad"
"I love you too Baby"

Dad then kissed my forehead as he knew that it helped me feel better, he's good like that, well that and he had to learn how to comfort me very quickly as I cried a whole lot as a young child, (like I cried more than most young children do).

"Look Sweetheart, I know that you won't think that it's a massive accomplishment for someone your age here, because you're like your old man-"
"Oh so you're admitting to being a stubborn old man then"
"Ha ha very funny, anyway you paid off a mortgage, which was 2 months behind for years, well ever since your Mom died, and even though my pride is hurt a little bit, I'm so proud of you for that"
"Why?, I just did what anyone would do-"
"Sweetheart, don't undermine yourself here, you did better than any other 14 year old would've done here, ok"
"Ok"

Dad started humming, I recognised the tune but I couldn't figure out why I knew the tune Dad was humming, (it sounds a little weird but it makes sense to me), so I asked him as I was not able to figure it out for myself.

"Dad"
"Yeah Baby"
"What is the song that you were humming?"
"You don't remember it Sweetheart?"
"No not really- well actually I recognise the tune you're humming but I don't remember the song itself"
"It's Mambo Italia-"
"Ok ok I remember it now"
"(Chuckles), good, otherwise I would've had to sing the whole thing-"
"Oh God please don't sing, I love you Dad, I really do but you're not a singer"
"I know that Baby, that's why I hum songs, you the one that asked-"
"Yeah what song you were humming, not for you to sing, you're an ok hummer though"
"Gee thanks Sammy"

Dad continued to just hug me for a while as I really needed the comfort from him, you know, that and to be fair he is the comfiest person I've  ever hugged, (Amber's a very close second in this case).

"Dad, has anyone told you that you're the comfiest person ever"
"(Snorts), Yeah Baby, I have been told that by another person as your Mom told me that once, I don't know about anyone else feels about that though"
"I mean anyone else's opinion doesn't matter to me, I just wanted to know if anyone else had said that to you"
"Ok Baby, whatever you want to think here"

I rolled my eyes in banter, as Dad and I had that kind of father/daughter relationship, you know, plus I needed a laugh after that cry sesh, (even if the cry session helped my soul heal).

"You little shit"
"(Snorts), You love me really though Dad"
"That I do Sweetheart, that I do"
"I love you"
"I love you too Baby"
"I love you more"
"(Snorts), I love you most"
"Smart ass"
"You had to get from somewhere Honey"