Chapter - 7

Hello Fam :)

Warning: The chapter is fun and sad at the same time. Take care of yourself while reading. I am here in case you need me. 

Also, for the first time since the start of the story, it's Nandini's POV.

Happy Reading...

Nandini was mad at Manik as the clock ticked twelve in the afternoon. The boy was smiling at her and unlike all the times, it was infuriating. Why did he want to take her to her parents? Who does even care about a stupid ritual? She took several deep breaths. It was Manik. And Manik was smart, sensible, and probably the only person she trusted not to hurt her ever. She held onto it. The trust between them felt rusty after all these years when she didn't know a major part of him but it was still there. At least she doesn't want herself to crawl under the bed and it was okay.

"Can we make a stop before going to meet your family?", asked Manik, while starting the car.

She nodded at him before turning away to look out of the window. At the end of the day, she has to meet her parents. What was there to lose more even?

They reached Murthy Mansion in the city, which was two lanes away from the Malhotra house. How could she forget that? It made her realize how close they were actually to her and a sudden wave of panic rushed inside her whole body. Even before it could blow into a full state panic attack, Manik had already opened the door for her and entwined their hands, pulling her up in front of him.

"Nandini, trust me this once, please. I wouldn't ever let them hurt you again", he promised.

She believed him because if there was someone who wouldn't hurt anyone ever, it was Manik. Even if he tries, he would give his best and that's all that mattered. He would at least try for her. She glanced at their hands. His firm grip was grounding her.

How dare you step into my house?

She was startled out of her thoughts. Nandini didn't know when they made their way into the house. It was her father. He was livid as he screamed at Manik but the boy only smiled at him.

"I came to talk about that actually. Thank you for welcoming", he said before walking both of them into the living room.

It has been four years since Nandini came to this house. The last time she was here, she was having a lost argument with her parents. Each and every one of her friends, their families were at risk. All because she refused to marry Manik. He would have been safe. The last she knew, Manik was supposed to go to London and it was the place where Nyonika had protected him all those years. She would have lifted her company again from ashes but Manik didn't deserve to lose his mother for a second time. Cabir too, but that idiot was capable of killing himself one or the other way. Unable to think clearly, Nandini had signed a deal to cut off ties with her friends and that had cost her four years of her life. A small duration. She was prepared for the rest of her life or until she was alive, whichever was earlier.

Manik was tugging at their joined hands. "Have a seat, Nandini. Make yourself comfortable. This is your house."

"What?", asked Mr. Murthy.

Manik pulled Nandini beside him, so they were sitting on the couch. Her parents were confused and angry. "This house and all the properties of the late Mr. Goverdhan Murthy belongs to Nandini now. Does that explain your question, Sir?", he said and handed over the documents in his hand to Mr. Murthy.

"You are joking, right?", asked her father, scanning them in disbelief.

Manik sighed and it almost felt as if he were mourning. "I wish I were. But, you know, my humor just died the moment I stepped on your doorstep. Since all this belongs to Nandini now", he said and turned towards her, "Nandini, why don't we make it safe from disinfectants? Do you have any suggestions?"