2

I sat there, squinting at my chemistry notebook, trying to balance the molecules in a stoichiometry equation. General Chemistry had been kicking my ass for weeks, and today was no different.

"How do I even balance two molecules of gold?" I muttered under my breath, frustration creeping into my voice. Stoichiometry was a nightmare — one mistake, and the whole equation was ruined. It felt like calculus, but with the added complexity of science. Math was my forte, but chemistry? Not so much.

"Just add two carbon atoms here to balance it," came a voice from in front of me. It was Baltazar, my academic rival — a guy who thrived on moments like this. Of course, he'd overheard my frustration. "You can have my answer if you're struggling."

I glanced up, frowning. Baltazar might have been a genius, but I wasn’t about to take his help. “No need,” I replied, dismissing him with a wave of my hand. “I can figure it out myself. Last thing you can accused me of cheating, dude. I've got too many dreams to risk it.”

Baltazar raised an eyebrow, looking genuinely hurt. “Wow. That’s low, even for you, Manuel. I was just offering to help.”

Immediately, guilt twisted in my gut. I had been too quick to judge. “Sorry, man,” I said, trying to smooth things over. “Didn’t mean it like that. Can you just explain it to me instead? I’d rather learn it than copy your answer. I mean, who knows, I might need this in the exam — unless, of course, I'm sitting next to you.” I flashed a grin, hoping to lighten the mood.

Baltazar chuckled and swapped seats with the guy next to me. “Fine, I’ll teach you. But don't get too used to this, I’m not your personal tutor,” he said, though his tone was playful. Despite our rivalry, there were moments like this when it felt like we were almost friends. Almost.

Weeks flew by in a blur of equations, projects, and never-ending assignments. Before I knew it, the second quarter of our junior year was coming to an end, and the STEMazing Research Competition — the biggest event for STEM students — was upon us. This was the moment we had been working towards for months.

The auditorium buzzed with excitement, filled with students, teachers, and a panel of judges. The theme for this year’s competition was Sustainable Solutions for a Better Tomorrow, and everyone had brought their A-game. I had chosen to focus on environmental science, specifically developing a method to purify contaminated water using nanotechnology. It was a solid project, and I was confident in it.

But then, there was Baltazar. He was competing in the biomedical engineering category, working on a prosthetic limb controlled by the user’s thoughts. Of course, he had to choose something impressive, something that would turn heads. I could feel the competitive tension between us even before the competition started.

“I’m going to crush you, Baltazar,” I whispered as we set up our projects.

Baltazar smirked. “Oh, I don’t think so, Manuel. My project’s going to blow yours out of the water. Besides, no distractions for me — no crushes or anything. I’m straight… straighter than a ruler.” He grinned like he’d just won the conversation.

I rolled my eyes. “I meant ‘crush’ as in destroy, nerd. You always have to make it weird.”

Before he could fire back another remark, the competition began. We both focused on our stations, presenting our projects to the judges as they made their rounds. They asked tough questions, testing our understanding of the science behind our ideas. Hours passed as the tension grew thicker, the stakes getting higher with each passing minute.

Finally, the moment arrived. Professor Rodriguez, our general biology teacher and one of the event organizers, stepped up to the podium, an envelope in her hand. The whole room fell silent.

“And the winners of the STEMazing Research Competition are... Manuel, for his innovative approach to water purification, and Baltazar, for his groundbreaking work on prosthetic limbs!” she announced with a proud smile.

I couldn’t believe it. We had both won. A surge of adrenaline rushed through me as I shook Baltazar’s hand, feeling a mix of triumph and camaraderie. We had both worked hard, and in the end, it had paid off. Still, the fire of competition burned in my chest.

“Rematch,” I whispered, grinning at him.

“Oh, it’s on,” Baltazar replied, the competitive spark in his eyes telling me that this rivalry was far from over.

Later that day, I spotted Edcel and John waving around a massive tarpaulin with “Go Sexy Manuel!” plastered across it in bold letters. It was a ridiculous candid shot of me, probably taken when I wasn’t paying attention, but I couldn’t help laughing.

“Manuel, you’re a beast!” Edcel shouted, doing a little dance in front of the crowd. “The girls were all staring at you during the competition, bro!”

John chuckled and gave me a fist bump. “Congrats, man. You killed it with that water purification project. It was like science porn — environmental edition.”

I shook my head, smiling. “Thanks, guys. I appreciate the support.”

“Now that you’re a winner, it’s time for you to treat us!” Edcel said, grinning like he’d won the lottery. “There’s a fishball stand outside. C’mon, just twenty pesos per stick — we’re not asking for much.”

I sighed but didn’t resist. After all, they had been cheering me on for hours. “Fine, fine. Tusok-tusok on me.”

As we made our way out, I spotted Baltazar already at the fishball stand, casually munching on some deep-fried goodness. He looked up and nodded in our direction.

“Congrats again, Baltazar. Your project was badass,” John said, extending a hand.

Baltazar wiped his hands before shaking John’s. “Thanks, man. Congrats to your friend, too. It’s not every day I lose,” he teased, his trademark grin back in place.

“You didn’t lose,” I pointed out. “It was a tie.”

“Semantics,” Baltazar said with a shrug, popping another fishball into his mouth. Yabang.

Edcel leaned in, nudging Baltazar playfully. “You should come with us to celebrate. Manuel’s treating us to fishballs, but if you want to throw in some extra cash, we won’t complain.”

Baltazar raised an eyebrow, smirking. “Well, I was going to invite you guys for coffee. My treat, of course. After all, a double victory calls for a celebration.”

Edcel and John exchanged excited glances. “Hell yeah! Coffee on the rich kid!” Edcel cheered, already dragging me toward the nearby coffee shop.

“I’m not some charity case,” I muttered, though a free coffee didn’t sound bad.

Baltazar laughed as we walked together. “Don’t act like you’re too good for it, Manuel. You need a break after all that brainpower you used today.”

Edcel threw an arm around my shoulders. “Don’t be shy, bro. Enjoy the perks of winning, and besides, Baltazar here might be the only person who understands your nerdy side.”

“Hey, I’m not a nerd,” I shot back, though my tone was half-hearted. Baltazar had been helping me in chemistry, after all, and now here we were — rivals, sure, but maybe something a little closer to friends too.

Baltazar just smiled, watching the chaos unfold as John and Edcel continued to tease me. "Remind me again why I'm hanging out with you guys?" I muttered, though deep down, I wouldn't trade this for anything.