Chapter 31

ALEX'S POV

I wake up to a sharp pain in my ankle and an oxygen mask on my face. Not ideal. I attempt to speak but instead a pained whimper escapes my throat, catching the attention of my parents.

"Doctor Bailey?" George asks outside of my door, and soon after the stout woman walks through the door and up to my bedside.

"Hey, Alex, how you feeling?" She asks softly.

"It hurts." I almost whine, pain evident throughout my tone. She walks down to the bottom of the bed and asks me to tell her to stop where it hurts. She points at the end of my foot and continues slowly until she reaches the top of my ankle, in which I nod vigorously.

"On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is it?" She asks.

"8 or 9" I cry.

"Okay, Okay. Breath Alex, just breath through the mask and I'll go and get you something for the pain." She pushes the mask back on to my face and rushes out. I take deep breaths as though I'm suffocating, trying to eliminate he pain, but if obviously doesn't work.

About 5 minutes of deep breathing and whimpering Doctor Bailey enters the room again, holding a new IV bag, and another young doctor in tow.

"Alexander, this is Doctor O'Malley, he's going to be checking up on you today- Okay?" She asks gently, gesturing to the young guy next to her. I stiffly nod my head, not really paying attention to anything but the pain.

She quickly changes my IV and writes stuff down on her clipboard.

"I've got a few surgeries today so I'll check back in when I can, Okay sweetie?" She offers a kind smile, and I attempt to return it but I probably look weird.

"Mr Hamilton-"

"Please, don't call me Mr Hamilton. I'm nothing like that man." I mutter the last part, and I can tell Martha heard it. That's gonna result in a loooong talk later. I love them though.

"Okay, Alexander. Would you like me to get a nurse to bring you some breakfast or would you rather wait a little while?" He asks smoothly. I shake my head, still waiting for the medicine to sink in. O'Malley leaves the room and closes the door on his way out.

After a few minutes I feel a wave of tranquility wash over me, and all of the pain vanish. I turn to look at Mam and Dad, a hazy smile on his face.

MARTHAS POV

Alex turns his head to us and shows us a wonky smile, and you can tell the medicine is starting to kick in. This'll be fun.

"You okay there, Alex?" I ask, a slight smile on my face.

"I'm just greattttt" he replies ina singsong tone. Oh yeah, he's definitely high.

(I feel like I'm slipping in different musical references and I really don't mean to. We're keeping them though)

"Hey, Alex, what do you think of Washington?" I ask mischievously, and George sends me a playful glare.

"I think he's soooo nice and sooooo cool. He's really tall, and he can hug me nicely. Oh! And his head is bald so he looks like an eggggggg" Alex sings, making me have to stifle my laughter. George looks proud, almost like he's finally got confirmation that Alex loves him.

"Hey, 'Xander, what about Martha?" George turns my own cards against me.

"Oh! She's really nice and sooooooo awesome, and she kinda reminds me of Mama, but shhhh don't tell her that!" Alex says whilst holding one finger up to his mouth as though telling someone a secret. I'm honoured that he sees me like his mother, and that I at least fill some of what he lost when Rachel died. I never knew Rachel, but from what Alex had told me she was a lovely woman.

The door creaks open and Doctor Bailey slips through.

"How's he doing?" She whispers to us.

"He's as high as a kite." I reply whilst chuckling lowly. She laughs and walks up to the bed, looking at Alex's face.

"Hey Alexander, what day is it?" She asks randomly.

"It can be whatever day it wants to be. If the earth wakes up and says 'hey! I want it to be Friday today' then it can be Friday. And if it wakes up and says 'no! I don't wanna be any day today', than it can be no day. Don't see why what day of the week the earth wants to be effects peopleeeee" He says all whilst singing.

Doctor Bailey chuckles which makes Alexander start to laugh lazily, making me and George burst into a fit of laughter too, and the atmosphere in the room is so joyous and happy.