Chapter 11

I looked out the window to see a black lifted truck was riding up beside us. A guy in the passenger seat, his face obscured by his red beard and aviator style sunglasses was waving his arms trying to get Sam to roll down his window.

"What do you think Tone?" Sam asked.

"I don't see weapons yet. Window down and we don't have to pull over to see what they want." Tone answered as he shrugged. Sam nodded and hit the button to roll his window down.

"Howdy friend." Sunglasses called.

"Howdy." Sam called back.

"How bout y'all pull on over and we have a chat?" Sunglasses asked.

"No offense but we don't know you." Sam told him. "We aren't pulling over."

"Now come on is that anyway to be?" Sunglasses asked.

"I'm sure you can understand we have kids to protect. We don't know you we aren't pulling over." Sam told him and reached for the window button.

"Look friend I told you to pull the damn bus over." Sunglasses growled, "Either you pull it over or we shoot it over." Sam rolled the window up and nodded to Tone. Sunglasses started waving a gun where we could see it.

"Everybody get down!" Sam shouted as bullets started hitting the side of the bus. Sydney threw a gun to Aaron as Tone got a couple spots set up for them to open windows to return fire.

Sam kept us moving at a steady pace, he didn't try to speed up. The guys in the truck could out run us. We all heard when one of the back duly tires got hit. The bus swerved violently tossing us all to the side. The back end of the bus slammed into the truck sending it off the road where it rolled into the huge rainwater ditch on the side of the road.

"Is everyone ok?" Sam asked.

"Just a few bruises." Sydney told him as she went around and checked everyone over.

"Anyone still following?" Sam asked.

"Not right now, can't even tell if anyone climbed out of the truck." Tone answered. Sam waited until he couldn't see the people who tried to ambush us, before he stopped to check the tire. As soon as Sam felt we were safe he stopped and Tone went to check the damage done to the tire.

"The other one is fine but there's no way we can change the busted one." Tone was saying, "The bus is just way too heavy for us to do it."

"Didn't we see something about there being a garage around here?" Sam asked, "Maybe we can figure it out there or find someone willing to take payment to help us."

"Yeah I think I know which one you're talking about." Tone said, "That Jeb's Garage we saw the sign for. I can find it on the map and have us there in no time."

"Are we going to be safe at a garage?" I asked. My hands were shaking.

"I don't know. Could be that we get there and no one is there." Tone told me, "We're ok now. Sydney, Sam and I have been through worse than this."

Feeling the bus moving again even though it was slow going was more calming than staying in the middle of the road. Sam kept his eyes scanning the road making sure he was driving carefully. Sydney stayed in the living room with us splitting her attention between watching out the windows for more trouble and checking on all of us.

Tone's ability to figure out the map he had got us to the garage. There was a tall guy with dark hair standing with two boys one had brown hair the other blonde outside working on boarding up windows to the house. They all stopped and turned when they heard the bus. When we pulled up, the oldest of the three waved at us and came over to Sam's window.