Chapter 13

It wasn't long before we came across a fence stretching across the road. It went well into the trees on either side and didn't look like there was a way we could get around it. Sam was just about to start reversing the bus when someone pulled up behind us blocking the way. Sam rolled down his window as someone else pulled up beside us.

"The way's blocked; we'll have to turn around." Sam told the stranger who just started laughing.

"Oh, we know it's blocked, it's our fence." The guy said as he watched Sam for a reaction.

"Well we'll be on our way then, if your friends would be so kind as to move out of our way." Sam explained as another guy walked up. This guy was obviously the leader everyone backed away from him as he walked by.

"See, now there, we have a problem." The leader said as he took the other guys place by Sam's window.

"How do we have a problem?" Sam asked, I could see he was tense.

"We want your bus and you can't go forward with the fence there. You can't go backwards since we got you blocked and all those creeps are coming." The leader said.

"Who the hell are you?" Sam asked. Sam gripped the steering wheel hard enough that his knuckles were losing color.

"They call me Captain and we're land pirates, you see our black flag flying there above our camp." Captain answered.

"Land pirates?" Sam responded.

"Yeah you come through our territory and we take what we want." Captain answered.

"We can give you some supplies to buy our passage." Sam told him.

"We don't need supplies." Captain said.

"What do you want?" Sam asked.

"We want your fancy bus." Captain answered.

"Look we're trying to be reasonable. You're not taking this bus from us I don't care who you are." Sam told Captain.

"Oh but you should, you see I got bit and look at me. I'm the picture of health. They can probably use my blood as a cure, but I won't let them without charging." Captain laughed as he spits foam from him mouth.

"Hate to break it to you but you don't look like a picture of health with that foam." Sam said.

"That foam doesn't mean anything." Captain argued

"Get the hell out of our way or we will start shooting." Sam responded and Sydney moved into position by one of the windows where the pirates wouldn't see her.

"You ain't going nowhere with our bus and whatever is on it." Captain said as his people cheered as he made rude gestures at Sam. I saw Sam tap his finger a couple times before he nodded. Sydney fired off two shots quickly that put down a couple of Captain's men.

"Get down." Sydney hissed at us as Captain's people pulled out their weapons. We all dropped down as Sam hit the gas and went through the fence. The pirates all scattered screaming at Sam as they tried to stop the bus by climbing onto it. The Red Eyes followed us through the hole but they went for all the pirates running instead of us.

One guy got a good grip on the bus and Sydney shot him in the leg. He let go and was swarmed by the Red Eyes. Sydney waited till his head was visible again. She fired off a shot straight into his forehead cutting him off mid scream.

"We should try to save them." Tone was saying to Sam.

"Tone, if we try to help these people they'll wait for their moment and they will kill us." Sam said as he kept going. We could hear screaming and gunfire outside. It grew fainter as Sam put distance between us and the pirates.