life is a highway

"C'mon, JJ, I don't want to get stuck in traffic," Emily said as she loaded her arms up with duffel bags and suitcases. JJ had her face buried in her phone, clicking the screen to constantly refresh. Finally, it loaded. She took a deep breath and launched the link. "JJ, please, can we..."

"Emily, I did it! I got an A in French," JJ yelled as she burst in to the common area from her bedroom. Emily immediately dropped the bags and caught JJ as she jumped in to her arms. Emily picked her up and softly twirled her around.
"Congratulations, babe! I knew you'd crush it," Emily said before kissing JJ on the cheek.
"I couldn't have done it without my amazing tutor," JJ said as she grabbed Emily's waist.
"Oh, please," Emily laughed and rolled her eyes. "Are you ready to hit the road now?"
"Let's do it," JJ said as she pulled her bags together.

The drive to the Prentiss estate was about five hours from New Haven and Emily decided not to wait until the morning to leave. The faster they got home, the sooner her vacation began, and after that crazy first semester, she was excited to be on break. She and JJ finished packing their bags in to the trunk of Emily's dark blue Audi. Emily placed the keys in the ignition and the interior of the car lit up in the setting November light. JJ settled in to the passenger seat and  noticed that Emily had seat warmers and temperature control so she turned up the heat and laid back.
"It's fun dating a rich girl," JJ sighed as she closed her eyes and set her head on the head rest. Emily laughed and rubbed JJ's leg as she pulled out of her parking spot and left Yale behind.

Maybe ninety minutes in to the drive, JJ could hear her stomach grumble with hunger. Apparently, Emily heard it too. "Geez, JJ. I will stop at the next Shake Shack ASAP." JJ blushed and her cheeks turned her usual rosy hue. Within minutes, her hunger had been satisfied as Emily had secured them both a burger, fries, and large shakes. The brunette had pulled her vehicle over to the top of a lookout on a very high hill. Down below, city lights glimmered in the night time. It was a gorgeous scene.

As the couple once again headed toward DC, Prentiss turned up the music to help her stay attentive on the dark highway. The soothing beat and the warmth of her leather seat had lulled JJ nearly to sleep. Right before she felt herself falling asleep, she saw a bright flash in front of the windshield and then everything went dark.