scars

The next morning, JJ was surprised to wake up to an empty bed. She softly stretched and let out a big yawn before rolling back over. Emily was rubbing off on her. She closed her eyes for a few more minutes before becoming extremely curious as to what could have gotten Emily up out of bed so early after such a raucous Thanksgiving. Suddenly, the bedroom door flew open and in watched Emily with a gigantic platter of breakfast foods.

"Good morning, beautiful," she exclaimed as she saw JJ had woken up.
"You got up early to make me breakfast in bed?" JJ was swooning.
"Well, sort of. I got up and started cooking, but I kind of burnt the first round, and the second, so Martha stepped in to help me out. I did make the mimosas though!" Emily laughed.
"Thank you, my love," JJ said as Emily set the tray down in the center of the bed and carefully climbed next to her girlfriend.
"Happy birthday, blackbird," Emily whispered before kissing JJ on the cheek.

For her birthday, JJ asked Emily to show her around DC since she'd never been before. Emily knew it would be impossible to "do DC" in just one day, so she'd made plans over the next few weeks to show her as many monuments and museums as possible before they left for Paris. Today, she wanted to do something special for JJ's birthday, so she organized a scroll around the national mall before taking her to one of the fanciest restaurants in the city for a romantic candlelit dinner.

They arrived back home after 9 and immediately hopped in the shower together. Emily softly bit JJ's neck as the blonde attempted to lather her foamy body wash down Emily's shoulders and back. She filled both hands with soap and made her way down Emily's body until she made it to her lower abdomen where she was reminded of something she'd been wanting to ask Emily for a while now.

"Hey Em," JJ said. "How'd you get this?" She pointed to the rather obvious scar Emily had on the right side of her midsection. Emily pulled JJ back up so they were at eye level with each other.
"That's a story for another time, okay?" Emily said before kissing JJ's neck again.
JJ stared straight ahead as she whispered "okay".

A bit later, they got out of the shower and decided to head down to the den to watch a movie before bed. As the made their way downstairs, Jim stopped them as they reached the foyer.
"Emily, I have something to tell you," he said. "Maybe we should go sit down?"
"It's okay, dad. What is it?" Emily asked.
Jim sighed and took a huge gulp before saying, "Uh, well, I didn't want to tell you yesterday because I didn't want to tell you on Thanksgiving...your mother, her flight wasn't really delayed. It's your grandfather. Something's happened."

—————

Emily could feel herself becoming disoriented as her father recounted the details.

"He hadn't been answering his phone for a few days, which wasn't like him. So on her way home she decided to swing by the cabin near Strasbourg where he'd being living recently. When he got there, he wasn't there but the place looked like it had been ransacked. And sitting on the kitchen table, was a picture of you," Jim said. "Emily, I think he took him, and I'm afraid he's coming for you."

JJ was extremely confused. Whose the "he" they were talking about? Why was her grandfather living in a cabin in France? Why was this mystery man coming for Emily? What secret life does her girlfriend have that she didn't know about?

Emily gulped. "JJ, I think I should tell you about the scar now."