twenty two

The third round of the Triwizard tournament is today. It's dawn a few hours before the task starts. I meet Cedric by the lake. I'm sitting on the ladder as he's standing in front of me, his arms on both sides supporting the ladder.

I smile, "Nervous?" He shakes his head no. "Not with you, I'm not." I look down, my forehead against his chest. "You have three more hours to rest why don't you sleep some more?" I ask him. "Well, the Hufflepuffs are very noisy. I wouldn't be able to rest, so I thought I'd rest with you." He smiles. I look up to him. "Rest with Amos then." I suggest. "Not a bad Idea," He smiles. "Would you come with me to where my Dad is staying?" He asks. "Me? a cruel Slytherin. Nicodemius King. Meeting your kind and charming father?" I laugh. "Yeah," He answers before leaning in for a kiss.

We're outside the hut the school provided for Amos. I fix my robes. Cedric opens the door. "Dad?" We see Amos who was brewing himself coffee. "Just in time for breakfast boy!" His father cheerfully kisses him on the cheek before noticing me ".....and friend!" He hugs me. "Girlfriend, Dad." Cedric corrects his Dad holds both my shoulders. "Is that correct young lady?" I nod. "Just in time for breakfast boy, and girlfriend!" His father chuckles hugging me again.

We sit down on the mini table, Cedric piling my plate with waffles. "I'm Nicodemius sir." I respectfully start conversation with Amos. "Hello, Nico my child, I'm Dad!" Amos chuckles again. "I hope my boy is not giving you such a hard time." He slices some food for Cedric. I shake my head. "Not at all.... maybe a few heart attacks in the tournament but, Cedric's been very sweet." Cedric smiles at me.

-

It is now the morning as I sit by the bleachers. Cedric was able to sleep for at least another two hours after breakfast. It's a cloudy day for a tournament. Hogwarts band playing the ear-splitting celebratory music as I swallow the lump in my throat.

Amos enters raising his hands as to present Cedric, I clap and cheer. "What's with you?" I ask Draco who was cheering for Krum, Goyle with 'KRUM' in red ink plastered on his forehead. Draco shrugs, "Not for Potter, Not for the guy who makes you worry, so we're for Krum!" He cheers again. Dumbledore shouts, "Earlier today, Professor Moody placed the Triwizard Cup deep within the maze. Only He knows the exact position. Now as Mister Diggory and Mister Potter are tied for first position, they will be the first to enter the maze, followed by Mister Krum, Miss Delacour." My eyes wander 'til it locked with Professor Moody. He offers me a sinister smile. "First person to touch the cup will be the winner." I search for Cedric's eyes. "Stay safe, promise." I mouth. He nods.

Dumbledore gathered the champions for some words. Amos gave Diggory one last hug, he looks at me before entering the maze. It felt like months waiting for anything from inside the maze, a scream, a cheer, a red firework, anything! I just want to know what's happening.

A red firework shoots to the sky. My heart is pounding. I hope it isn't Cedric but I also want it to be him just so he could get out of that maze.

Fleur Delacour was the first one out. She was shaking, disheveled and out of it. I run to her pushing her friends aside. "What's happening inside the maze?" She starts crying and shaking her head.

I face the entrance... anything Cedric.... anything please!