Chapter 22

It was a quiet night. Ross was quietly dozing off as he listened to the soft hum of the apartment heater and the gentle breeze blowing against his window outside. His mind was already shut off and his body was following suit as he began to fall into a deep sleep.

All of a sudden a soft, inaudible voice interrupted him just as he was about to nod off. He subconsciously frowned, brushing it off as his mind playing tricks on him as he began to doze off again.

"Ross."

He heard the voice again, this time a little louder and clearer. He inwardly sighed, waiting a few seconds to see if the voice would interrupt him again. Not hearing anything, he rolled over to his other side and buried his face into his pillow, desperately trying to fall asleep.

"Ross!"

"I'm up!" he immediately sat up, groaning and rubbing his eyes. Squinting into the darkness, it took a few moments for his eyes to adjust until he noticed his girlfriend's face staring right back at him only a couple inches away. "Rachel? What are you doing up?"

"I went to use the bathroom and I think I felt the baby move!" she exclaimed excitedly, her smile practically glowing through the darkness.

"I'm sure it was just your imagination..." he murmured, his eyes incoherently shutting down as he slowly lay back down.

"No! It happened! I swear!" she opposed, pulling him back up. "Look! Feel!"

She took his hand and placed it under her 'Frankie Say Relax'. For a moment nothing happened, but all of a sudden Ross felt a tiny little kick against his hand and instantly he was wide awake.

"Oh my God, you were right," he said in shock, a large smiling coming to his face.

"I know!" she smiled, covering her mouth as happy tears began showing in her eyes.

Ross looked up, noticing her soft tears, and smiled, gently wiping them away. "Come here," he said, moving his legs off the bed and letting her sit in his lap. He took one of her hands and placed it on her stomach along with his as they felt the occasional small kick from inside her belly together.

"Sweetie, that's our baby," he whispered gently.

Rachel looked up and smiled, asking for a kiss with her eyes. He got the message and planted a soft, refreshing kiss on her lips.

"I love you," she said afterwards, staring into his eyes.

"I love you too," he responded, giving her another kiss on her forehead. "We should get some sleep. Remember, tomorrow we have my parents' anniversary."

"Oh, that's right." She inadvertently let out a yawn, making him chuckle softly.

He returned back to his position on the bed as she quickly climbed in, cuddling up as best she could beside him. Matching her position, he turned around, placing his hand back on her stomach as he kissed her neck.

"Sweet dreams beautiful," he whispered and she smiled.

Together, they finally dozed off in each other's arms.

...

A whole day later Ross and Rachel found themselves walking into the large banquet hall that is Event Room C. Presents in hand, the moment they entered the large room they were immediately spotted by Ross' parents who came by to greet them.

"Hey guys!" Ross greeted, giving his parents a hug.

"Hey!" Rachel followed, receiving a kiss on the cheek from both parents as well. "Happy thirty-fifth anniversary!"