Chapter 17

Kuhn waited and waited, his heart drumming nervously, but he didn't see them collapse.

He felt like the palm of the hand he'd used to crush the horn fruit was on fire. It was very hot and uncomfortable. His thick calluses even had an unusual flush. The incessantly burning sensation made him wish he could peel his skin off.

He'd heard that some plants were so lethal that they didn't need to be eaten, just touching them slightly was enough to harm a person. He felt such pain just from the poison coming into contact with the surface of his skin, so Xiao Anchun and the others should be in an even more miserable state, right? They'd finished eating a long time ago, the poison should have spread to their whole bodies.

Thinking like this, Kuhn quickly slid down the rope ladder and ran to the stone jar to wash his hands. He repeatedly scrubbed it, rubbing off a layer of calluses before stopping. The burning sensation hadn't subsided, in fact, it felt even more intense, the poison seemed to be spreading quickly.

He clenched his teeth, and decisively pulled out a dagger, cutting off the flesh on his palm.

Blood splashed everywhere, dyeing the water in the jar red. In order to prevent wild beasts from seeking out the bloody smell, he immediately wrapped his palm in a leather bind, then dug a pit, burying the bloody water and loose flesh deep into the ground.

The digging and burying process continuously agitated Kuhn's mutilated palm, making him cold sweat. He tightened the binding and collapsed against a tree trunk, gasping for breath, telling himself that he'll be able to meet Addie again soon, making himself feel a little better. After sitting for a long time, long enough the see if the poison would spread to the rest of his body, Kuhn covered his face and laughed sporadically.

He hadn't died! Except for his palm, he didn't feel discomfort anywhere else, which was enough to prove that he'd stopped the spread of poison.

Kuhn was grateful for his own decisiveness. Once again, he tightened the binding around his palm, then climbed the rope ladder to the golden lion's tree house and searched for the salt and red crystals.

Nothing, there was nothing. There was nothing in the house but a bed, a table and a chair. How can this be? He definitely saw the pretty female tossing around two red crystals in the sun once, how could it have disappeared? Could he have it on him? Thinking of this, Kuhn left the tree house, planning to search for the group's bodies. But after walking a few meters, he froze, his eyes almost popping out.

"You, you..." didn't die? He swallowed back the last two words just in time, visibly turning more and more pale.

Zhou Yun Sheng acted as if he hadn't noticed his abnormality, asking, "Were you going for a walk too?"

"Y-yes, I ate too much, I was about to take a walk." Kuhn immediately went along with it.

Xiao Anchun stared at his blood-stained palm and asked, "Are you injured?"

He was no longer concerned about Kuhn's fate, but he still had to figure out what he was planning.

Kuhn quickly hid his hand behind his back and shook his head: "I didn't hold the rope ladder properly when I came down, so I fell and the palm of my hand split open. It's nothing serious."

This excuse made Xiao Anchun even more suspicious. He grabbed Kuhn and forced him to sit down, then untied the tightly wrapped bindings to examine the wound. His eyebrows rose slightly, seemingly doubtful, but he didn't ask any more questions. If this was the past, he would've been very worried, and would've ran into the forest to pick medicine for Kuhn. But now, it was like none of it mattered. He didn't even warn him that his wound was dirty and misshapen, much less clean and dress it for him.