11. Family date nights are the worst

He holds me, and I give him a kiss. He smiles, and kisses my nose.

'I need to tell you something..' I say as my smile fades.

'What it?' He asks.

'I was planning on.. Well something not good before you showed up.' I say, and he starts tearing up.

'When?' He whispers.

'After highschool ended, I figured I wanted to at least accomplish something in life before I go..' I say looking down. His tears start falling, and I wipe them as they come.

'Violet?' He whispers.

'Yeah?' I ask.

'Don't ever do that, if you do I don't know what I would do with myself...' He says, and puts some extra hairs behind my ear.

'I wont' I say with a sad smile.

'Good.' He says, then gives me a kiss.

'Tate, dinner's ready!' I hear Tates mom say.

'Shit..' I mumble, then get up quickly to put my clothes on. I turn around to see Tate doing the same thing.

'Ugh, what's taking you so-' Addilain says opening the door. Luckily by then we are mostly dressed. Tate still needs to put his shirt on, and I need to put my cardigan, but I'm also in the middle of putting on my tights. 'Never mind take your time.' She says quickly closing the door.

'Fuck.' I say with a cuckle. Now putting on my cardin, which was across the room.

'That was close.' He says laughing then gives me a kiss. 'Can you stay for dinner?'

'Sure, let me just text my mom.' I say, grabbing my phone from my book bag. I walk into the dinning room to see Addilain, and this other guy I haven't met yet sitting at the table. I sit down next to Tate, and turn to the guy I haven't met yet.

'Oooh, who do we have here Tate?' He asks, and I put out my hand trying to be polite.

'I'm Violet, Tate's girlfriends.' I say, and he shakes my hand.

'I'm Larry, his stepfather.' He says.

'So I assumed,' I say turning to Tate who looks a little uneasy.

'Ladies, and gentlemen, the ham' Constance says bringing out ham, and putting it in the middle of the table.

'Ah, wow.' Larry says, and she giggles.

'It looks lovely.' Tate says, trying to be polite, but I would rather him be honest.

'Now who wants to say grace?' Constance asks.

'Oh, mother may I?' Tate asks, and I roll my eyes.

'Well of course son,' Larry says putting his hands together. 'I was hoping you would choose to become a part of this family.' We hold each other's hand, and I already feel like this was a bad idea on my behalf.

'Dear god, thank you for my beautiful girlfriend who will be joining us tonight,' He says, and he turns to me to see me roll my eyes with a smile. He goes back to closing his eyes, and keeps going 'Thank you for the salty pig meat we're about to eat, along with the rest of the uningestible swill. And thank you for our new charade of a family. My father ran away when I was only six, and if I had known any better I would have joined him.' Then Constance slaps his hand, but he keeps going, and a big smile grows on my face. 'And also because she has been trying to get back into this house ever since she lost it. Lord, a big thank you for blinding the asshole that's doing my mother, so that he can't see what everybody knows, she doesn't really love him.' He ends.

'Amen,' Addilain says, then looks at me. I pull out a cigarette, and light it.

'Amen.' I say with a chuckle.

'Tate, why can't you have any manners when a guest is here? Also Violet, don't smoke at the table.' She says, and I keep going.

'Mom, no matter how much I want it, I will never be your perfect son. Never.' He says, then turns to me.

'So Violet, What did you, and Tate do today?' She asks, and Tate spits out his water, but cleans it up quickly.

'He was cleaning up my scratch, since these bitches at school scratched me.' I lie.

'Oh, so that's why I heard moaning come from his room.' Constance says sarcastically, and Addilain starts to laugh. Me, and Tate just sit there in silence.

'Um, I gotta go thanks for the shitty ham Mrs Langdon.' I say getting up, and Tate gets up next to me.

'I'm gonna walk Violet home.' He says, then we escape the house, and start walking to my house. 'Hey, sorry about that. I shouldn't have dragged you into my personal business.'

'It's fine, I had a good time torturing your shitty parents.' I say as we stop and the door, and he chuckles. I give him a kiss, and go inside.