12. I'm not a fan of dances, but I'll make an exception

I sit in the cafeteria, and Tate comes, and sits next to me. He gives me a kiss, and I give him a smile.

'Violet?' He asks.

'Yes?' I ask.

'Do you wanna go to prom with me? I know dances aren't your thing, but I thought it would be fun.' He says, giving me a smile. I don't really wanna go, but I know if I don't like it we could always go back to my house.

'Sure,' I say. 'But just know I'm only going because you want me to.' I say, clarifying the situation. He giggles, and we go back to eating. I look up to see Alexis's tear stained face looking down at me.

'Violet, I am so sorry! I was thinking about it last night, and I realized how, mind my language, fucked up it was that I helped do those things. Chelsie felt the same way, but she doesn't know you that well so she wanted me to say sorry for her. Leah doesn't wanna say sorry, but I'm not friends with her anymore... I hope you can forgive me, and we can be friends.' Alexis ends crying more in the process. I don't know what to say.

'Um, I don't know..' I say, then turn to Tate who seems kinda pissed. 'Look didn't you purposely try to hurt me?!' I am a little more pissed.

'Oh Violet! Please forgive me!' She says as tears fall out. 'I'll do anything.'

'Look Alexis, I forgive you, but I will not be your friend. I want you, and your bitchy friends to leave me, and Tate alone.' I say, and she nods sadly walking away.

I get home to see my now very pregnant mom sitting at the table eating something that looks inedible. It looks like a type of raw meat, and she's just eating it like it is nothing.

'What the hell are you eating?!' I ask, and she looks up at me.

'Raw pancreas, Constance got it at a meat market, it is good for momma and baby.' The creepy old maid says, and my mom nods.

'Ok.. Mom can we go shopping?' I ask, and her face lights up.

'I thought you would never ask! But why now?' She asks, and I freeze up. I don't want to tell her the truth, but it looks like I have a choice.

'I-i am going to prom..' I mumble hoping she wouldn't hear me.

'Violet, that's great!' She says excitedly.

'Yeah, well don't make it such a big deal..' I say trying to dull her excitement.

'I'll tell you what, after I'm done we can go shopping for dresses.' She says excitedly.

'Ok,' I say, and then walk away smiling. The dance is actually really close, so I don't have that long to find a dress.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stand in my room, looking at the dress. It is gorgeous, it is black, of course, and fits my body perfectly. My mom comes in, and has me sit down so she can do my hair.

'Honey?' She asks, as she does, god knows what, to my hair.

'What?' I ask, but I can tell she is sad.

'Well,' She sighs, 'We might be moving soon.'

'What!?' I ask, but try not to do any big movements as she does my hair.

'After I have my baby, we are getting out of this house, and leaving this house.' She says more seriously.

'Why?!' I ask, still pissed off.

'Because I'm leaving your father, he got his student in Boston pregnant.' She says sadly.

'Then why can't he just move in with her, and you, and me just stay here?' I ask.

'Because he is keeping the house.' She says, and I can feel her tears fall on my shoulder.

'But, I don't want to leave! I found a place I actually like, and you have to ruin it!' I say, knowing that it isn't her fault. She moves on to doing my makeup, and we don't speak during the whole process.

I look in the mirror to see what she did, and my jaw drops. I look stunning, and I can see how proud my mom is at me.

'I'm sorry, I know it isn't your fault this happened.' I say with a sad smile, and she kisses my forehead.

'I know, Violet.' She says, and then I hear a knock on the door. I open it to see Tate in his suit, but his hair is still messy. As soon as he sees me I see him blush, and I look down in embarrassment.

'You look.. Stunning.' He says, and I roll my eyes with a big smile. He takes my hand, and we walk to the car.

'Have a nice night!' My mom yells behind us.

'Bye mom!.' I yell back, then get in the car. We drive to the dance, and I can already hear shitty music coming from the building. 'I didn't expect to hear shitty music so soon!'

'Me to!' He says laughing. We walk into the dance, and we see kids dirty dancing, and people eating at the snack table. Then an actual good song comes on, it is 'Friday I'm in love' by The Cure.

'Care to dance?' I ask, sticking out my hand, and he takes it. I pull him to the dance floor, and he puts his hands on my hips, and I wrap my hands around the back of his neck.

'Why are you so perfect?' He asks, and I blush.

'Then why are you so adorable?' I ask, and he laughs. He pulls me in, and heads on my shoulder.

'It is taking all my willpower not to rip that dress off of you.' He says, and I laugh hugging him tighter.

'Don't worry, you will.' I flirt, and I can feel his smile on my shoulder.

'You no what we can get out of here, watch a movie, then I can do what I promised.' He says, pulling away to look at me.

'Ok, we can go, but just know my parents will be there.' I say.

'Ok,' He says, then we walk to his car.

As soon as we get to my house, I realize that my parents aren't home. I grab my phone, and call my dad.

'Hello,' My dad says.

'Hey, where are you guys?' I ask.

'Oh, I had to take your mom to the hospital.' He says calmly.

'What?! Why?!' I ask, getting worried. I can tell Tate is getting worried by my instant worry, so I hold his hand, and squeeze it.

'She's gone into labor, and she should have her baby by mourning!' He says.

'Well do you want Tate to drive me over there?' I ask.

'No, you can come tomorrow. Have fun with whatever you're doing.' He says.

'Ok, tell mom I said hi, bye.' I turn off the phone before he could say it back.

'What was that about, Violet?' Tate asks in worry.

'Oh, my mom is at the hospital having her baby.' I say calmly. I'm not that excited to get a sibling when I'm already seventeen. I will have left by the time he can even walk.

'That's great, so what do you wanna watch?' He asks me up to my room.

'You, without the tuxedo of course.' I flirt, and he giggles.