Handon in New Orleans - HOPE

ENDED. ALL THAT MALIVORE NIGHTMARE IS OVER, BUT THERE WAS A PORE. LANDON WAS HIS HOST, AND FOR A MIRACLE, HE DIDN'T DIE AGAIN. BUT UNTIL THIS SECOND CHANCE WOULD HAVE A PRICE: ALL THE SUPERNATURAL YEAR HE LIVED WOULD BE DELETED, AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FROM THE BEGINNING. HE WOULD NOT REMEMBER NOTHING, WOULD NOT REMEMBER HAVING SEEN ME AT THE RAF'S FIRST TRANSFORMATION; OF SCHOOL, OF US, NOTHING. BUT IF THIS WAS THE WAY TO HAVE YOU WELL, SAFE, ALIVE, THERE WOULD BE NO DISCUSSION. IT WAS WHAT HAD TO BE DONE.

H: - Do it.

A: - Are you sure? Hope, he'll forget everything.

H: - Do it. He forgot me once, it wouldn't be a new challenge for me. If so he is safe, do it.

I let the twins drain me into the spell that would remove any and all traces of Malivore and the supernatural world of Landon, but before we start we need to discuss what he should remember to move on.

H: - He will wake up at the bus stop, the backpack will be ready to travel. There, there will be a ticket to New Orleans, I can guarantee that he will be right there. He'll remember running away from home and after Raf left in that accident with his girlfriend. You will suffer for losing it, but you know that New Orleans will be a fresh start. He will remember meeting his mother, but she did not live up to what he expected and he knows it was better to leave her behind. We don't want him to start an endless search, right? You will forget my name, my face, everything about me before and after we meet again.

Everyone listened in silence. Not necessarily because they were agreeing, but because there was something different to be done. I thought and rethought all the gaps that should be filled, but nothing new occurred to me. That was it. Instructions given, we did the spell and Dr. Saltzman would take care of leaving it in the agreed place. As soon as we were done, I looked at his serene face, still unconscious, it would be my last sight of Landon. Or at least it should be.

Everything was done as agreed. I went up to my room and cried a lot. So that was it.

After all we've been through, that would be my end with Landon. I tried to hold on to the thought that he would be safe and well, but that didn't make it hurt less. Our story had been erased for him, and if I wanted to go through it, it would have to be erased for me too. I remembered that I should call Aunt Freya to ask for a "casual" way to find Landon and hire him as a waiter at Russeou, at least while he couldn't find anything else. I explained everything we had done and how she couldn't let anything slip about me, us or our world. It was not difficult to convince her, she always understood me very well.

Days later, Aunt Freya called to say that everything was okay with Landon. He had arrived in the city and now worked at the bar. She told me that he played the guitar to entertain tourists on his days off, but I asked him to stop there. It was no longer easy to move on, knowing how he was touching life didn't help much. I thanked her again for everything she did and hung up.

It was amazing how everything seemed to have returned to normal, to the most normal that my life has ever been. Even though I got close to the twins, I couldn't help falling into old isolation habits. My days were ashes. I painted, trained, wrote in my diary, went on recruiting assignments from time to time. But that was it. Two months later, I was having a really bad, terrible week. I was no longer able to cope with the delay of hours, with classes, with the conversations of overcoming that Lizzie built when she realized my worst days. Everything was awful. Even my magic was unstable. For the first time, I was able to feel what my father and uncles probably felt when they had to walk away from each other and from me years ago. The need to see someone's face, to hear their voice, to know that they are a few hours away, and simply not to be able to. Do not do it. I had gotten very good at controlling impulses, but that was not one of them.